A cup of tea and a slice of warm mock apple and ginger galette is the perfect thing for a cold rainy day. And each slice of this low carb and Keto pastry has just 5g net carbs.
It’s a cold rainy day here in Pittsburgh, so I’m cozying up with a cup of tea and a slice of warm mock apple and ginger galette. It’s the perfect tea time treat.
I’m also watching this great animated series that I just found.
It comes from a group called Story Corps, where people go to record conversations and reminiscences. These conversations are then shared on the radio and filed at the National Archives. And some of the stories are made into these wonderful animations. The one I just watched was about a boy who grew up living in a library because his dad was the custodian there. (video below) It’s completely charming.
My tea time treat was completely charming too.
This low carb mock apple and ginger galette is definitely a keeper. For this recipe, I spiced and sweetened yellow squash to stand in for apples. Add a little lemon juice, cinnamon and sweetener, and you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference.
And I added in some fresh ginger to amp up the Fall flavors.
I used a great crust recipe that I found on the gnom-gnom blog. It takes a little bit of finessing to make, but it’s worth it for the buttery flakiness of the crust. And each slice of mock apple and ginger galette has just 5g net carbs. It’s just perfect.
Kind of like snuggling up with a snack and some stories on a cold rainy day.
Low Carb Keto Mock Apple and Ginger Galette
A cup of tea and a slice of warm mock apple and ginger galette is the perfect thing for a cold rainy day.
- Prep Time: 2:00
- Cook Time: 41
- Total Time: 2 hours 41 minutes
- Yield: 8 slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: French
1 cup super fine almond flour
5 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons butter, cold
4 oz cream cheese, cold
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1 egg for egg wash before baking
Mock Apple Filling:
3 tablespoons butter
4 1/2 cups yellow squash, peeled, seeded and sliced like apples
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Add almond flour, coconut flour, xanthin gum and salt to a food processor or high powered blender and pulse to combine.
2. Add butter and cream cheese and pulse again until crumbs form.
3. Add 1 beaten egg and vinegar and pulse until combined.
4. Form dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days.
5. As the crust is chilling, you can make the mock apple filling. Heat butter in a large skillet over Medium High Heat. Add ginger and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add yellow quash to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add sweetener, cinnamon and lemon juice to the pan and cook for 5 minutes more. Set aside to cool.
8. Once crust dough has chilled, roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper until it’s about an 11 inch circle.
9. Cut the edge to make it smoother, if desired. Move the dough, along with the lower piece of parchment paper to a large cookie sheet. Put cookie sheet into the freezer for 15 minutes.
10. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
11. Working quickly, add filling to the middle of the crust and fold over the edges like you see in the picture. If the dough becomes too soft to work with, then put it back in the freezer for 10-15 more minutes. If the crust tears, just press it back together.
12. Once galette edges are folded, place it back in the freezer for 15 more minutes.
13. Beat the remaining egg so that you can use it as an egg wash. Brush the egg wash over the crust.
14. Bake galette for 20-30 minutes, until browned. At minute 15, brush some more egg wash over the crust. Watch closely after minute 15 because the crust will brown quickly.
15. Allow to cool on the pan. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 302
- Fat: 28
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 6
Keywords: low carb galette, keto galette, low carb pastry, keto pastry
If you liked this Mock Apple Galette, then you might like my Mock Apple Cobbler, Mock Apple Butter or Mock Apple Coffee Cake.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.