Good things come in pairs sometimes, and this is just such a time.
Today I'm going to share two of my favorite things: a low carb appetizer called a mushroom crescent and a Bollywood super team named Chiranjeevi and Radha.
Let's start with the Bollywood stars and work our way down to the mushroom crescents.
The video below is this magical dance number from the 1982 film YamaKinkarudu. In it, the single name megastars Chiranjeevi and Radha dance like nobody's watching. I could watch these two all day.
But life is for living, so let's make some low carb hors d'oeuvres.
These low carb mushroom crescents are based on an appetizer that my family makes every holiday. They are small savory pastries made up of crescent roll dough stuffed with sauted mushrooms.
But since we're on a low carb diet, there will be no Pillsbury crescent roll dough for us.
Luckily, we've got something just as good: Fat Head Dough. This is a low carb dough that's made from mozzarella and cream cheese mixed with almond flour, butter and eggs. Using this dough lowers the net carb count for each mushroom crescent from 22g down to just 4g.
It's enough to make you dance like nobody's watching.
Low Carb Keto Mushroom Crescents
This recipe for low carb mushroom crescents makes the perfect appetizer with only 4g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
7 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
6 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 ½ cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons (1 oz) cream cheese
1 cup super fine almond flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 large egg, beaten
½ tablespoon butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots and cook until juices are released and evaporated, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a medium sized bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until fully melted and combined.
4. In your stand mixer (using the dough hook attachment), add the almond meal and xanthan gum and mix well. If you don't have a stand mixer, that's ok. You'll just need to use a little elbow grease to mix and knead the dough.
5. Add the eggs and melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Add the hot melted cheese to the stand mixer and allow it to knead the dough until all the ingredients are fully combined. (Or just use your hands to knead the dough.)
7. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
8. Put a dough ball between 2 pieces of wax or parchment paper. Press down with the heel of your hand to flatten it into a circle. Use a roller to roll it into a thin circle with a 4 inch diameter.
9. Add 1 tablespoon of mushroom filling to one side of the dough circle. Use the bottom sheet of parchment paper to carefully fold the dough over itself. Press down on the dough to seal the edges. Peel the parchment paper off the top of the dough crescent. Use your fingers to smooth out the edges. Use a pancake turner to remove the crescent from the parchment and place it on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining balls of dough.
10. Bake for 18-22 minutes until browned. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack. Best served warm.
- Calories: 194
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 11
Keywords: Low Carb Mushroom Crescent, Keto Mushroom Crescent, Mushroom Appetizer