It’s a scorcher today, so I’m just sitting inside, enjoying some ice cold rhubarb ice cream.
(Actual picture of me below.)
This low carb frozen dessert captures all the sweet and sour goodness of hot rhubarb cobbler, just in a tasty ice cream form.
To make this low carb recipe, you start by making an ice cream custard composed of rhubarb, sugar free sweetener, almond milk, cream and a little bit of balsamic vinegar.
While the rhubarb custard is chilling, you mix up a crumble topping made from almond flour, flaxseed meal, sliced almonds, pecans, flaked coconut, vanilla, butter and some more sugar free sweetener. That gets baked in the oven until the crumbles are toasty and browned. Then you churn the ice cream, top it with the crumbles and freeze it until it hardens.
And badda bing, badda boom, you’ve got yourself a delicious low carb dessert with only 5g net carbs per scoop.
(Actual reactions to this recipe below.)
Low Carb Keto Rhubarb Cobbler Ice Cream
There is nothing like a low carb rhubarb cobbler when the weather gets hot. And each scoop has just 5g net carbs per scoop. Sweet!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups rhubarb, diced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, optional
- 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 5 tablespoons super fine almond flour
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Make sure to freeze the canister of your ice cream maker 24 hours before making the recipe.
2. Add rhubarb, sweetener and water to a medium sized sauce pan. Cook on medium high heat until boiling. Cover the pan, lower the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Pour the rhubarb into a food processor or high powered blender. Add in almond milk, cream and balsamic vinegar and process until smooth and combined. Taste for sweetness and add more sweetener if desired. Optional: Add in a few drops of red food coloring to make the ice cream pinker.
4. Chill in the refrigerator until completely cold, about 3-4 hours.
5. For the crumble topping, preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
6. Mix together all the dry ingredients. Mix the melted butter with vanilla and add to the dry ingredients. Blend with a pastry cutter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Spread the crumbs out on the parchment covered cookie sheet and press down with your hands to flatten it a little bit.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Leave the crumbles on the pan and allow them to cool completely on the counter.
8. Once the ice cream custard has cooled, add it to the frozen canister of an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions, usually about 20-25 minutes. It should be the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
9. Pour the ice cream into a loaf pan and sprinkle the crumbles on top. Alternately, you can fold the crumbles into the ice cream.
10. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil. Place the container in the freezer and allow the mixture to freeze for 2 hours until hardened.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 23
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 4
Keywords: Low Carb Rhubarb Ice Cream, Keto Rhubarb Ice Cream, Sugar-Free Rhubarb Ice Cream
You’ll need these specialty ingredients:
And you’ll be needing one of these:
If you liked this ice cream, then you might like my recipes for Vanilla, Coffee and Butter Pecan Ice Cream.