Hope your morning is going well. It’s only 10 am here, but I’ve already tucked into today’s recipe. It’s a low carb short rib ragu over polenta. Yum.
So I’m just sitting here, enjoying my dinner/breakfast and watching the late night shows that I missed last night.
One of my favorites is the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. He does this great segment called True Confessions. (video below) His guest are given two envelopes, one with a true story and one with a made up one, and then the other two have to guess whether it’s true or not. It’s super funny.
But let’s move on from Mathew McConaughy to short rib ragu sauce, shall we?
Today’s ragu recipe usually takes hours to prepare, but with an Instant Pot, it only needs 35 minutes of cook time. (I’ve got instructions on how to cook it in the oven though, if you don’t have an Instant Pot.) The short rib ragu sauce is served over a cheesy polenta. The polenta is actually make from almond flour, which keeps the carb count down to just 2g net carbs. The net carbs for the ragu sauce are 7g, so the whole shebang is only 9g. This recipe is a great low carb way to enjoy this classic Italian meal.
And if you have it for breakfast while watching late night tv, I won’t judge.
Low Carb Keto Short Rib Ragu over Polenta
This recipe for low carb keto short rib ragu sauce over polenta is easily and quickly made in an Instant Pot.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
Short Rib Ragu Sauce:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 pounds bone-in short ribs, or 2 pounds boneless
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, sliced thinly
2 cups super fine almond flour
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over Medium High heat. Short ribs should be in chunks, approximately 2 inches x 2 inches. If not, then cut them down to size.
- Add short ribs to the pan in two batches. Brown meat on all sides. Remove meat from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Lower the heat to Medium and add onion and garlic to the pan. Cook until softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add wine to the pan and scrape up any browned bits. Add tomato paste to the pan and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and all the spices to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Add short ribs to an Instant Pot and pour sauce on top. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can add the short ribs and sauce to a casserole dish and cook in a 325 degree F oven until very tender, 3 hours.
- Cook on High in the Instant Pot for 35 minutes. When it’s done cooking, allow the steam to release naturally over the course of 10 minutes. Release any remaining steam with the release valve.
- Remove the bay leaf from the sauce. Remove the short ribs and put them on a cutting board. When they are cool enough to tough, remove the bone and shred the meat.
- While you are cooling and then shredding the beef, turn the Instant Pot onto Saute and reduce the sauce a little bit. If you are using the oven, put the sauce back in the skillet and cook until reduced.
- Return the shredded beef to the sauce and heat for a minute or two in the sauce.
- Mix together polenta almond flour, water and salt in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over Medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once it comes to a boil, whisk constantly for 2 minutes until visibly thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Add polenta to a plate, then pile ragu sauce on top. Sprinkle fresh parsley and basil on top and serve immediately.
NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR POLENTA:
PREP TIME: 2 MIN COOK: 5 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 210 Total Fat 18g Protein 11g Carbs 6g Fiber 4g Net Carbs 2g
NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR RAGU SAUCE BELOW:
- Calories: 750
- Fat: 61
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 32
Keywords: Low Carb Ragu Polenta, Keto Ragu Polenta, Paleo Ragu Polenta
If you liked this recipe, then you might want to try some other Italian dishes like Pappardelle Bolognese, Chicken Puttanesca, or my Quick Tomato Sauce.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.