This simple low carb and Keto recipe for pot roast with mushrooms can be made quickly in an Instant Pot.
Some foods bring back memories in the first bite. And this recipe for shredded beef with mushrooms was one of those magic meals that took me back to my childhood.
I grew up in the 1980’s, but my parents used to play music from the 1940’s at dinner each night.
My mom would light candles and my dad would put a swing record on the record player. One of my favorites was the Glenn Miller Orchestra. I found a great film clip of the band playing “In the Mood”, and I’ve been listening to it as I made this pot roast. (video below) It was the perfect trip back in time.
One of the great things about this shredded beef and mushroom recipe is that it is naturally low carb and Keto.
And if you pair the meat and mushrooms with some mashed cauliflower, then you’ll be in pot roast heaven. The whole dinner clocks in at just 3g net carbs. I used an Instant Pot which cut about 2 hours off of the pot roast’s cook time. With this wonder of modern technology, it takes about an hour and a half to make a full pot roast dinner.
So set the pressure cooker to High, put some Glenn Miller on the hi-fi, and enjoy the ride back in time.
Low Carb Keto Shredded Beef with Mushrooms
This simple recipe for pot roast with mushrooms can be made quickly in an Instant Pot.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 1:15
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 7 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 1/2 pound chuck roast, fat trimmed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
8 oz baby bella mushrooms
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1. Add olive oil to an Instant Pot and set it to Saute.
2. Salt and pepper chuck roast. Add chuck roast to the Instant Pot and brown the meat on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side.
3. Add beef broth, Worcestershire Sauce, mushrooms, bay leaves and garlic to the Instant Pot.
4. Pressure cook on High (or on Beef/ Stew setting) for 65 minutes. If your roast is bigger, then add 10 minutes cook time for each extra pound. Once the cook time is over, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes, then vent the remaining steam with the release valve.
5. Remove roast and place it on a cutting board. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
6. Remove bay leaves and garlic cloves and throw away.
7. Once the roast is cool enough to handle, pull the meat apart with 2 forks. Scrape the larger pieces of fat off as you pull the meat.
8. Return the meat and mushrooms to the Instant Pot and allow to rest in the cooking liquid for 10 minutes before serving.
To thicken the pan juice into a gravy, dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot in water and add to the Instant Pot. Bring to a simmer on the Saute setting, and simmer until thickened.
- Calories: 510
- Fat: 32
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 60
Keywords: low carb pot roast, low carb shredded beef, keto pot roast, keto shredded beef
If you liked this recipe for Shredded Beef, then you might be interested in my recipe for Pappardelle Bolognese or Steak Hibachi.