“We fried us up some rooster bullets or some cackle berries in this old thing this mornin.” -Cowboy Kent Rollins
Well good mornin! Today I’m going to share my recipe for Low Carb and Keto Shrimp and Asparagus with Lemon Garlic Sauce. It’s an easy one pan meal that can be made in less than 20 minutes in a cast iron skillet. But before we get to the recipe, I’d like to pass on some cast iron skillet wisdom from Cowboy Kent Rollins. (video below)
Meet Kent Rollins, the cowboy food blogger behind KentRollins.com
According to his website, “Kent Rollins is from a lost period in time and a dying state of mind, when life was simple and character was king.” And he is nothing if not a character. His colorful descriptions of how to clean and maintain a cast iron skillet are pretty darn charming. And very useful.
So here are his cowboy secrets to cleaning and seasoning a cast iron skillet:
- You start by getting the water in the sink to be a hot as it can go. Then you get the pan hot again on the stove. Don’t try using a hot pan in cold water, or it might crack.
- Take the pan to the sink and spray hot water on it as you use a wooden spatula to scrape off the big bits of food. It will likely not be completely clean yet, so move on to Step 3.
- Add coarsely ground salt to the pan and scrub it with a rag or the soft side of a sponge. That should get the gunk off.
- Dry your pan and get out some extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil to season it.
- Heat the pan again so that it’s hot to the touch, but not so hot that the oil will smoke. Use a clean soft cloth to wipe down the inside and outside of the pan with the oil.
- And you are done cleaning and seasoning your cast iron skillet. You should season your pan each and every time you use it.
So there you go.
Now it’s time to share my recipe for Low Carb Shrimp and Asparagus with Lemon Garlic Sauce. It’s a simple stir fry that comes together quickly in one cast iron pan. This is a perfect meal for the Keto diet, because one serving clocks in at just 5g net carbs. But it’s compliant for Paleo, Primal, Weight Watchers and Whole30 diets as well. Yee-ha!
I’m going to leave you with just one more kernel of wisdom from Cowboy Kent:
Shrimp and Asparagus in Lemon Garlic Sauce
This is an easy recipe for Low Carb Keto Shrimp and Asparagus in Lemon Garlic Sauce. It’s a healthy recipe that comes together in one pan and has just 5g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
1 1/2 pound (1 bunch) asparagus, ends trimmed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 pound peeled and deveined shrimp with tails left on
salt and pepper
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (optional)
crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet or large non-stick skillet over Medium heat.
2. Cook asparagus until crisp tender, 4-6 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add butter to the skillet and cook until melted and bubbles have subsided. Add shrimp and cook on one side for 1 minute. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Add garlic and Italian Seasoning to the pan and cook shrimp on the other side for 1 minute until pink and opaque.
5. Add water and Sriracha Sauce to the pan and reduce the sauce for 1 minute.
6. Push the shrimp to the side of the pan and add asparagus back to the pan. Turn to coat the asparagus in the sauce.
7. Stir in lemon juice.
8. Reheat for 1-2 more minutes and then sprinkle chopped parsley on top and serve immediately.
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 39
Keywords: Low Carb Shrimp and Asparagus, Keto Shrimp and Asparagus, Whole30 Shrimp and Asparagus