“It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor. Won’t you be, won’t you be, please won’t you please be… my neighbor?” -Fred Rogers
Hello neighbors. Today I want to share a recipe for low carb Sloppy Joes, but first I want to talk about some local Pittsburgh excitement.
A Mister Rogers biopic just started shooting in Pittsburgh and I could not be more excited about it.
The first image was just released of Tom Hanks in costume as Mister Rogers. I cannot think of a better actor to play the mild mannered kid’s television star. It’s a match made in heaven.
Kind of like the recipe that I am about to share.
I’ve paired Sloppy Joe meat with low carb Psyllium Husk buns and the result is a match made in low carb heaven. It’s just as messy and meaty as the original, but this low carb version has only 6g net carb per sandwich. It’s really good.
Ok neighbor, time for me to put on my sweater, change into my sneakers and high tail it out of here.
Low Carb Keto Sloppy Joes
These low carb sloppy joes make for a great lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 1:15
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 sloppy joes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/4 cup almond flour
5 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1 1/2 cup egg whites with 2 egg yolks (11 large eggs total)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 pound ground beef
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons Swerve Brown or equivalent brown sugar substitute
1 teaspoon ground mustard
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup chicken or beef broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup dill pickle, minced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the coconut flour, almond flour, flax seed meal, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, sweetener and salt.
3. Stir in egg whites, oil and apple cider vinegar with an electric mixer.
4. Slowly pour hot water over mixture, stirring until the dough expands.
5. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll into a ball. Flatten the dough with your hand to 1 inch high. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the rolls.
6. Place the rolls on the prepared cookie sheet.
7. Bake 40-50 minutes, until well browned and quite firm to the touch.
8. Remove and let cool on pan.
9. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, 2 minutes.
10. Add garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
11. Add ground beef to the pan and cook until browned and crumbled, 7 minutes.
12. Add in tomato paste, sweetener, mustard, vinegar, broth, salt, pepper and dill pickles. Bring to a simmer and then turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 15 minutes until sauce has been reduced and flavors have melded.
13. Cut buns in half and fill with ground beef mixture. Serve warm.
- Calories: 477
- Fat: 29
- Carbohydrates: 11
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 41
Keywords: Low Carb Sloppy Joe, Keto Sloppy Joe, Paleo Sloppy Joe
You’ll need these specialty ingredients:
If you liked this ground beef dinner, then you might want to try my recipes for Mozzarella Cheese Filled Meatballs, Beef and Daikon Radish Casserole or Baked Ziti.