Lately, I’ve been missing pasta quite a bit.
So today, I set my mind on making low carb spinach gnocchi.
Though I have to say, it was easier said than done. The dough wasn’t too hard to figure out, but it took quite awhile to find the best way to cook it. Boiling was out because the almond flour dough is too fragile. Baking was no good because it dried them out, and frying them in butter was tasty, but the gnocchi weren’t cooked all the way through. I was left with but one option: the dreaded microwave.
But you know what?
It worked like a dream! In just a few minutes I’d cooked up some low carb spinach gnocchi with just 8g net carbs per serving. And they were just as pillowy and soft as gnocchi should be.
Who would have thought?
Low Carb Keto Spinach Ricotta Gnocchi
These Low Carb Keto Spinach Gnocchi are just as tasty as the real thing, but with just 8g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 1:20
- Cook Time: 2
- Total Time: 1 hour 22 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
5 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 tablespoons coconut flour
2 tablespoons oat fiber
6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 cup plus 6 tablespoons super fine almond flour
3/4 cup full fat ricotta cheese
1/2 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Thaw and drain frozen spinach in a colander. Use paper towels to press as much liquid as you can out of the spinach.
2. Add all ingredients to a food processor or high powered blender and process until smooth, 2 minutes.
Transfer to a medium sized bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Dough should be sticky but shapable at this point. If you can’t form the dough into a ball, then add in more coconut flour in tablespoon increments until you can work with the dough.
4. Scoop out a heaping teaspoon of dough and roll with your hands into a pill shape. Repeat with the rest of the dough, placing the gnocchi on two microwave safe dinner plates. Press each gnocchi with a fork, if desired.
5. One plate at a time, microwave the gnocchi for 2 minutes until cooked through but still soft.
6. Serve with melted butter or sugar-free tomato sauce.
- Calories: 506
- Fat: 39
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 14
- Protein: 23
Keywords: Low Carb Spinach Gnocchi, Keto Spinach Gnocchi, Paleo Spinach Gnocchi
If you liked these Spinach Gnocchi, then you might like my recipe for Gnocchi with Cream Mushroom Sauce.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.