Some days, I make things that look great but taste a little bit meh.
And other days I cook something that tastes amazing but doesn’t look like much. And today is one of those days. It’s very hard to make latkes look sexy. But they taste just wonderful.
Classic latkes are made from potatoes, onions and flour, but we are on a low carb diet, so these are not for us.
But, no matter, we can make do with a few low carb substitutes. For the potatoes, I used a mixture of daikon radishes and parsnips. And instead of flour, I used oat fiber and flaxseed meal. The result is a very tasty fried latke with only 5g net carbs.
So please, I beg of you, don’t judge this book by it’s cover.
Low Carb Latkes
These low carb latkes are made from a mixture of daikon radishes and parsnips and have just 5g net carbs each.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 10 latkes 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Jewish
1 cup coconut oil
2 cups daikon radish, peeled and grated
2 cups parsnips, peeled and grated
2 scallions, white and light green parts, sliced
1 tablespoon scallions, green ends, sliced
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oat fiber
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add coconut oil to a large skillet and heat over Medium heat.
- Mix tother the remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Once oil has heated, add latke mixture to the pan in packed 1/4 cup portions. Flatten the latkes slightly and cook until browned on one side, 2 minutes. You should be able to cook 3 latkes in the pan at a time.
- Lower the heat to low and carefully flip the latkes. Cook until other side has browned, 2 more minutes.
- Allow the latkes to drain on paper towel until they are cook enough to eat. Serve immediately.
If you can’t find daikon radishes, you can substitute 2 more cups parsnips.
Also, I estimated the coconut oil used as 1/4 cup, but I don’t know how much I used for sure.
- Serving Size: 1 latke
- Calories: 110
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 3
Keywords: Low Carb Latkes, Keto Latkes, Paleo Latkes
If you liked this low carb fried recipe, then you might like my recipes for Beignets, Fried Coconut Shrimp or Navajo Fry Bread.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.