Low Carb Keto Lemon Meringue Cookies
These little sunshine cookies put me in such a good mood this afternoon.
I had to put on my favorite happy song, They Might Be Giant's "Birdhouse in Your Soul". (below)
I, of course, bought this album the minute it came out.
Flood was a big hit among nerdlingers like myself. And watching the video now, it looks like John and John were not too much older than teenagers themselves. They were such bambinos back then!
I hope these lemon meringue cookies put you in a good mood too.
They're based on this wild recipe from Sweet Peas and Saffron. She makes these little nests out of piped meringue and then fills them with lemon curd. It's genius. You get the best part of lemon meringue pie right in your hand. I've adapted the recipe to make it low carb and sugar free, so each cookie has less than 1g of carbohydrate. But every bite is just as bright and full of lemony flavor.
Just like a little birdhouse in your soul.
Low Carb Almond Meringue Cookies
4 large egg whites, room temperature
6 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 lemons, juice and zest
3/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/2 cup butter
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set your oven racks on second lowest and second highest positions.
2. Add cream of tartar and salt to the whites and beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add sweetener, about 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until the whites are stiff and glossy.
3. Spoon or pipe mixture into 20 to 24 large cloud shaped meringues. Use the back of a small spoon to make indentations in the middle of each meringue.
4. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes at 250 degrees F. Then reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F and continue to bake for another 18 to 20 minutes, until crisp and tips are just starting to brown.
5. Turn off oven and let meringues sit inside for 2 hours more.
6. Squeeze the lemons and zest them. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, butter and sweetener to a medium sized heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Don't let the bowl touch the bottom of the pan. Stir until all the butter has melted.
7. Whisk the egg and egg yolks, then stir into the heated mixture. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. It should stick to the back of the spoon.
8. Spoon the lemon curd into the indentations in the meringues.
9. Store in the refrigerator.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 40 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 2 cookies Calories 98 Fat 9g Protein 2g Carb 1 Fiber 0 Net Carbs 1g