These low carb lemon meringue cookies are filled with lemon curd an look just like little bird’s nests. And each serving has just 1g net carbs.
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set your oven racks on second lowest and second highest positions.
2. Add cream of tartar and salt to the whites and beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add sweetener, about 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until the whites are stiff and glossy.
3. Spoon or pipe mixture into 20 to 24 large cloud shaped meringues. Use the back of a small spoon to make indentations in the middle of each meringue.
4. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes at 250 degrees F. Then reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F and continue to bake for another 18 to 20 minutes, until crisp and tips are just starting to brown.
5. Turn off oven and let meringues sit inside for 2 hours more.
6. Squeeze the lemons and zest them. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, butter and sweetener to a medium sized heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Don’t let the bowl touch the bottom of the pan. Stir until all the butter has melted.
7. Whisk the egg and egg yolks, then stir into the heated mixture. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. It should stick to the back of the spoon.
8. Spoon the lemon curd into the indentations in the meringues.
9. Store in the refrigerator.
Keywords: Low Carb Lemon Meringue Cookies, Keto Lemon Meringue Cookies, Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Cookies