Today we’re going to make pound cake, an English dessert whose origins stretch back to the 1700’s.
I love this period in history. Jane Austen grew up in the 1700’s, and I’m a huge Jane Austen nerd. I’ve read all her books, and know all the film adaptations backwards and forwards. So this Studio C parody of a Jane Austen dance scene totally cracked me up. (video below)
It’s spot on.
It’s got all the elements of a successful Jane Austen dance sequence, from the mutton chops to the longing glances to the ridiculous dance moves. It’s definitely worth a watch if you are a Jane Austen super fan like me.
And it’s even better if you have some period accurate cake to munch on while you watch it.
This is a low carb version of the classic pound cake, so called because the ingredients were 1 pound of eggs, 1 pound of butter, 1 pound of flour and 1 pound of sugar. (These were very large cakes!) Today’s pound cakes are much smaller, usually loaf or bundt pan sized. This low carb recipe is based on a really good one that I found on I Save A to Z. It’s a very moist cake with a subtle lemon flavor. Perfect for a Jane Austen viewing party.
Or for anybody else you find tolerable.
Low Carb Keto Lemon Pound Cake
This recipe is a low carb take on a classic lemon pound cake.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 1:00
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: English
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups super fine almond flour
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 tablespoons powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a loaf pan.
2. Cream together the butter, cream cheese and powdered sweetener with an electric hand mixer.
3. Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon extract and continue mixing it with the hand mixer until all ingredients are blended together.
4. Add in the almond flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until there are no clumps in the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. A toothpick should come out without batter on it.
6. Allow to cool completely in the pan before adding the glaze.
7. Mix together the glaze and spread it on top of the pound cake. Allow it to drip down the sides of the cake.
- Calories: 381
- Fat: 35
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 12
Keywords: Low Carb Lemon Pound Cake, Keto Lemon Pound Cake, Gluten Free Lemon Pound Cake
You’ll need these specialty ingredients:
If you liked this low carb cake recipe, then you might like my Banana Walnut Bread, Berry Shortcake or Strawberry Jello Layer Cake.