Let me just say at the outset- there are no apples in this apple butter.
Apple butter is just too carb-y for my diet, so I came up with an apple butter recipe that uses yellow squash instead of apples. A mock apple butter, if you will.
Here’s the thing: a normal serving of apple butter has 11g of carbohydrate.
On a low carb diet, that could be your total carb allowance for the meal. Problem! But when you swap out the apples with yellow squash, you’ve got less than 1g of carbohydrate to worry about. Almost nothing.
Now you may be thinking, “YUCK”.
I hear you, but trust me on this one. Add some cinnamon and sweetener and you will never know the difference. It’s crazy, but completely true. To make mock apple butter, you start by peeling and dicing yellow squash into inch sized pieces.
Add the squash to a dutch oven along with water, sweetener and cider vinegar. Bring it to a rolling boil, then cover, lower the heat and cook for 30 minutes until softened.
Add cinnamon and lemon juice and puree in a food processor or blender.
Now you just need to slow cook it for several hours. Bring it back to a boil and then put the dutch oven into a 250 degree oven. Cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. When it is thick and deep brown, then it’s done.
I love the rich flavor that comes from the slow cooking.
This mock apple butter is so good! Even better than the real thing.Print
Low Carb Keto Mock Apple Butter
This recipe for mock apple butter uses yellow squash in the place of apples.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 3:00
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 64 servings 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Cuisine: American
- 8 cups yellow squash (2 lb)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Peel and dice the yellow squash into inch sized pieces. It’s fine to leave in the seeds.
2. Add the squash to a dutch oven along with water, sweetener and cider vinegar.
3. Bring it to a rolling boil, then cover, lower the heat and cook for 30 minutes until softened.
4. Add the cinnamon and lemon juice and puree in a food processor or blender.
5. Bring it back to a boil and then put the covered dutch oven into a 250 degree oven.
6. Cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. When it is thick and deep brown, then it’s done.
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoons
- Calories: 5
- Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Fiber: <1
- Protein: <1
Keywords: Low Carb Apple Butter, Keto Apple Butter, Mock Apple Butter