Today we’re going to make mozzarella cheese filled meatballs.
I can’t make meatballs without saying “Mama Mia! That’s a spicy meatball!” with an over the top Italian accent. But where does that catchphrase come from? I had to look it up.
It turns out that the phrase comes from an old Alka-Seltzer commercial that aired in 1969. (video above)
The ad is supposed to be the outtakes of a commercial for spaghetti sauce. This hapless actor has to eat a meatball and exclaim, “Mama Mia! That’s a spicy meatball!” in take after take of the commercial. This leads to gastric distress which in turn leads him to Alka-Seltzer. Plop plop fizz fizz. Oh what a relief it is.
But there is no need to worry about indigestion from this recipe.
The meatballs we’re making today are not spicy at all. And they are not the overly tough chewy meatballs that are common on a low carb diet. (Just frying up ground beef in the shape of a meatball does not make for a good meatball!) You need some filler to keep the meat tender and airy. So for these meatballs we’re going to add almond flour and parmesan cheese to bulk it up and water to steam the meat. Oh, and a ball of mozzarella cheese in the middle, because… cheese!
Mama Mia! That’s a cheesy meatball.
Low Carb Keto Mozzarella Filled Meatballs
These mozzarella cheese filled meatballs are tender and light and have only 1g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 7 servings
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup super fine almond flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 large eggs
- 28 small fresh mozzarella cheese balls
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and cover 2 cookie sheets with tin foil.
2. Mix all ingredients except the cheese together in a big bowl. Use your hands to squish the meat until it is fully combined.
3. Scoop out 1/8 cup (2 tablespoon) portions for each meatball. Take a mozzarella cheese ball and wrap it with the meat mixture and form it into a ball. Make sure that the meat completely surrounds the cheese. Place the meatballs on a cookie sheet.
4. Once the first cookie sheet is full, put it in the oven and bake it for 20 minutes. Repeat with the remaining meat.
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs
- Calories: 537
- Fat: 40
- Carbohydrates: 2
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 43
Keywords: Low Carb Cheese Meatball, Keto Cheese Meatball, Paleo Cheese Meatball
If you liked this low carb meatball recipe, then you might like these recipes for Greek Meatballs, Swedish Meatballs or Meatball Casserole.