I can’t make spaghetti sauce without thinking about that famous prison scene from Goodfellas. (video below)
The wise guys are all in prison, but it’s not the same prison that everybody else gets. They’ve got their own little fiefdom where they make gourmet Italian meals for themselves. I always think about Paul Sorvino shaving the garlic so thin that it liquifies in the pan. It’s a beautiful thing.
I like to think that Paul Sorvino would be impressed with the sauce I made today.
It’s a bolognese sauce that has been simmering all afternoon. It was worth the wait though. It’s really good.
But the sauce is only half the story.
I also made some low carb pappardelle noodles. These wide noodles are made out of eggs, cream cheese and vital wheat gluten. (The gluten is optional, but adds a nice texture to the noodles.) Mix the noodles up with the sauce and you’ve got a delicious Pappardelle Bolognese.
Low Carb Keto Pappardelle Bolognese
This low carb Pappardelle Bolognese is a hearty Italian supper made from a slow cooked beef sauce and egg noodles that you make yourself.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 2:25
- Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup shallots, diced
- 1 cup red bell peppers, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups beef stock, divided
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley to garnish
- cooking spray
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 large eggs
- a dash of salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten, (optional)*
For the Bolognese Sauce:
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, shallots and peppers. Sauté until softened, 4-5 minutes.
2. Add beef and sauté, breaking up with the back of a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add wine; boil 1 minute, stirring often and scraping up browned bits.
4. Add 2 1/2 cups stock and tomato paste; stir to blend. Reduce heat to very low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors meld, 1 1/2 hours.
5. Bring cream and water to a simmer in a small saucepan; gradually add to sauce.
6. Cover sauce with lid slightly ajar and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cream is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Add more stock by 1/4-cupfuls to thin the sauce out, if needed. Season with salt and pepper.
For the Pappardelle Noodles:
7. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and cover 2 large rimmed cookie sheets with Silpat mats. Spray the mats with cooking spray.
8. Add the cream cheese, eggs, vital wheat gluten*, salt and pepper to a blender and blend for 1 minute on high.
9. Pour 1/4 of the batter onto a Silpat mat. Rock the cookie sheet back and forth until the batter forms a rectangle. The batter will be very thin. Repeat with the second cookie sheet.
10. One at a time, bake at 325 degrees F for 5 minutes, or until just set. They should not be browned at all.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before cutting into 1/2 inch wide noodles. Remove the noodles from the cookie sheets and repeat the process with the remaining liquid.
12. Once the bolognese sauce is done, add the pappardelle noodles to the pan and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
13. Add to four plates and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
*The vital wheat gluten improves the texture of the noodles, but is not necessary to the recipe.
- Calories: 708
- Fat: 45
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 50
Keywords: Low Carb Pasta Bolognese, Keto Pasta Bolognese, Low Carb Bolognese Sauce, Keto Bolognese Sauce
You’ll need these specialty ingredients:
If you liked this Italian recipe, then you might like my recipes for Chicken Puttanesca, Chicken Alfredo or Baked Ziti.