Low Carb Keto Raspberry Crepe Layer Cake
Today is my birthday. Woo hoo! I'm so happy to be turning 39. (Again.)
I decided to make myself an over the top pink layer birthday cake, just like in Alice in Wonderland.
But I must warn you before I share this recipe:
This cake takes a very long time to make. You spend a good deal of time making a tall stack of low carb crepes for the layers and then waiting for them to cool.
But once you've got your crepe layers and a nice raspberry frosting, it comes together pretty easily.
And it's fun to frost and stack all those layers. But just remember, this is a cake that is not going to be perfect. It's likely to be all cattywompus because of all the layers going on. And like I said, it does take a good chunk of time to make. But this ridiculously tall layer cake was worth the effort.
Because you know what, you only turn 39 once.
Low Carb Raspberry Crepe Layer Cake
10 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons almond flour
10 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
6 oz fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons water
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1. Cook water and raspberries in a small saucepan over medium heat until the berries are broken down, about 5 minutes.
2. Refrigerate the raspberry mixture.
3. Add crepe almond flour, cream cheese, eggs and baking powder to a blender and blend until smooth. It should be a thin batter.
4. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat it over medium high heat. Drop 1/3 cup of the batter into the center of the skillet. It should make an 8 inch crepe. Cook until bubbles in the batter pop and then flip it. Cook for another 30 seconds until browned on both sides. Remove to a plate. Repeat until the batter is done. Spray the pan after every two crepes.
5. Refrigerate the crepes for 1 hour until cooled. If they are still warm in the center, give them a little more time. You don't want to melt the whipped cream frosting.
6. Add the raspberries, juice and sweetener to a blender and blend until smooth. Add remaining 6 oz cream cheese to the blender and blend until smooth and combined.
7. Whip the heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
8. Slowly mix in the raspberry mixture and whip until fully combined.
9. Frost the cake. Add one crepe to a plate and smooth a 1/4 inch layer of frosting on it. Repeat until you've covered all the crepes. Use remaining frosting to frost the sides of the cake.
10. Store in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.
PREP TIME: 30 MIN COOK TIME: 40 MINS
CHILL TIME: 2 HRS
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 497 Fat 47g Protein 14g Carb 8g Fiber 2g Net Carbs 6g