This recipe for low carb rustic Italian bread is a real yeast bread with a soft chewy inside and a nice thick crust.
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water, divided
1 teaspoon sugar*
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup super fine almond flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
1. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup warm (like bath water) water, sugar and yeast until dissolved. Cover the bowl and allow to sit until frothy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together remaining dry ingredients.
3. Add yeast mixture, remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water and olive oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Knead the dough for 3 minutes until it’s well combined. Don’t over knead.
5. Form the dough into an oval shape on a greased cookie sheet. Put the dough in a warm dry place and allow to rise for 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and melt the butter in the microwave.
7. Brush the top of the loaf with melted butter. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the crust is browned and the bread makes a hollow sound when you tap the bottom. The internal temperature should be between 190-200 degrees F. Check by inserting an instant read thermometer into the side of the bread loaf. The closer to 200 degrees it gets, the crustier the bread.
8. Allow to cool for 1 hour before cutting.
*The sugar will be converted to alcohol and carbon dioxide in the fermentation process so the carbohydrates are cancelled out. The sugar has been left out of the nutritional info.
Keywords: Low Carb Yeast Bread, Low Carb Italian Bread, Low Carb Italian Yeast Bread