Low Carb Keto Salmon and Cream Cheese Sushi Roll
Today I did something I've wanted to do for a long time.
I made my own sushi!
Sushi is something that I've really been missing on this low carb diet.
Sashimi is fine if you skip the rice, but forget about sushi rolls. Just about all sushi rolls have rice in them. It's kind of their thing.
But check it out.
I came up with a salmon sushi roll recipe that uses cream cheese instead of rice to hold the whole thing together. It's a modified "New York" sushi roll. All you need for this recipe is salmon, cream cheese, scallions, rice vinegar and nori sheets.
I found some helpful gifs to show how to make sushi rolls. Just imagine you are using cream cheese in place of the rice.
Mix together cream cheese, scallions and rice vinegar and spread the mixture over a sheet of nori. Place slices of salmon at one of the short ends of the nori sheet.
Starting with the salmon side, use a sushi mat to gently roll the sushi roll over itself. Seal the seam.
And you're done. You've joined the ranks of people who know how to make their own sushi at home.
Low Carb Salmon and Cream Cheese Sushi Roll
8 oz sushi grade salmon filets, sliced into 1/2 inch thick strips
8 oz cream cheese
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
4 scallions, sliced
4 sheets of nori sushi wrapping
1. Cover a sushi roll mat with plastic wrap on both sides.
2. Heat the cream cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds until melted and spreadable.
3. Mix together the vinegar, cream cheese and sliced scallions.
4. Lay out a sheet of nori on the sushi mat.
5. Cover the nori with 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture. Spread it out evenly so that the nori is covered from edge to edge with cream cheese. If you'd like most of the cream cheese to be in the middle, then push the cream cheese to the short side with the salmon. Just make sure there is cream cheese on the opposite edge to seal the roll.
6. Add the salmon strips to one of the short sides.
7. Beginning on the salmon edge, carefully roll the sushi roll with the mat. See gifs above.
8. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
9. Cut the sushi roll into 1 inch wide slices with a very sharp knife.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 30 SEC
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1 roll Calories 301 Fat 26g Protein 16g Carbs 4g Fiber <1g Net Carbs 4g