I feel like I have been remiss.
I’ve posted so many Youtube videos on this blog, but I have never written about literal music videos. So before we get to the fishcakes, I want to take a minute to celebrate the ridiculousness that are literal music videos.
If you haven’t seen one, literal music videos are parodies of music videos, where the lyrics have been replaced with literal descriptions of what it going on in the video.
The video above started the whole genre. It’s Dustin McLean’s adaptation of A-ha’s “Take on Me” from 1985. The music video uses a blend of animation and live action to tell the story of a girl who magically crosses over from the real world into the cartoon world. After she crosses over to the other side, the singer sings, “So now you’re inside. Everything’s drawn and super 80’s. Lots of squiggly lines. When I stand here it makes me human.”
And it goes on from there. It’s really funny.
But you are probably here about the low carb fishcakes, aren’t you? Apologies.
Today’s recipe is a salmon cake made from fresh salmon, onions, peppers, herbs, eggs and almond flour. There is also a nice avocado mayo to go with it. It’s a killer combo.
Both here and in the magical cartoon world.
Low Carb Keto Salmon Cakes with Avocado Mayo
These low carb salmon cakes with avocado mayo have just 3g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound skinless boneless salmon filets
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup super fine almond flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Put the salmon filets into a microwave safe casserole dish along with a little bit of water. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving a small opening for steam to escape. Microwave until the salmon is cooked through and uniformly light pink, 4-7 minutes. Dry the filets with a paper towel.
2. Break the salmon up with a fork and mix together all the salmon cake ingredients except the olive oil.
3. Fill a 1/4 cup measuring spoon with the salmon cake mixture. Pack it down in with the back of a spoon. Then turn the measuring spoon to release the salmon cake onto a plate. Repeat until you’ve used up all of the mixture. You should have 10 salmon cakes.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Carefully add the salmon cakes to the pan in 2 batches. Cook for 4-6 minutes on each side until golden brown. Each patty should release from the pan easily with it’s done. If it’s sticking, then give it a little more time. The cooked sides are going to hold the whole thing together, so make sure that it is firm before flipping it.
5. For the avocado mayo, just add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR AVOCADO MAYO: Serving Size: 2 tablespoons Yield: 1 1/2 cups Calories 20 Fat 2g Protein <1g Carb 1g Fiber <1g Net Carbs 1g
NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR AVOCADO SAUCE BELOW:
- Serving Size: 2 salmon cakes
- Calories: 314
- Fat: 20
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 28
Keywords: Low Carb Salmon Cakes, Keto Salmon Cakes, Paleo Salmon Cakes
You’ll need this specialty ingredient:
If you liked this low carb salmon recipe, then you might like my Asian Salmon, Spicy Salmon Sushi Roll or Cream Cheese and Salmon Sushi Roll.