Low Carb Keto Shortbread Holiday Cookies
Welp, it's December.
Time to listen to terrible holiday music and bake cookies. Here's the Hall and Oates cover of Jingle Bell Rock to get you started. (below)
And here is a good recipe for low carb shortbread cookies.
I based it on one that I found it on the Sugar Free Londoner. It's a simple dough made from almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, almond extract, sugar-free sweetener and butter. You cream it all together, roll out the dough and cut it into shapes. And before you know it, you've got yourself some delicious holiday cookies. Just ice them in red and green and leave a few out for Santa.
Cause that's the jingle bell, that's the jingle bell, that's the jingle bell rock.
Low Carb Shortbread Holiday Cookies
1/3 cup coconut flour
2/3 cup almond flour
5 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
4 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
red and green food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
3. Add the softened butter and almond extract and mix with an electric mixer until combined. Use your hands to form it into a dough.
4. Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of parchment or wax paper.
5. Place the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes to make it firmer and easier to work with. It might take a little longer, depending on how cold you keep your freezer.
6. Cut your cookies with a cookie cutter or the lid of a water glass.
7. Place cookies on the parchment covered cookie sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
8. Let the cookies cool completely before icing them.
9. To make the icing, mix together the heavy whipping cream and the powdered sweetener. Divide the mixture into 2 bowls. Add 10 drops of food coloring to each bowl and mix well to combine. If the icing is too liquid to spread, then you can add a little more sweetener.
10. Ice the cookies.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 10 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Servings: 13 Serving Size: 3 small cookies Calories 116 Fat 11g Protein 2g Carbs 3g Fiber 2g Net Carbs 1g