Low Carb Keto Tuna Avocado Roll with Cauliflower Rice
I don’t know why, but I’ve been on a sushi tear lately.
I’ve made spicy salmon rolls, cauliflower rice chirashi, salmon and cream cheese rolls and now tuna avocado rolls.
I’d seen recipes for cauliflower rice sushi rolls floating around on Pinterest but hadn’t ever tried it before.
I thought to myself, "This will either be really good, or it will be an abomination and an insult to the very idea of sushi." And I'm happy to report that it was the first one! For my version of the roll, I seasoned the cauliflower rice with sesame oil, rice vinegar and a little bit of sweetener. This made it taste a lot like seasoned chirashi rice. (Yum.)
To make these low carb tuna avocado rolls, all you need are 2 sheets of nori, sushi grade tuna steak, avocado, cauliflower rice, sesame oil, sugar free sweetener and rice vinegar.
You begin by cooking the cauliflower rice along with the seasoning in the microwave. Then you cut the fish and avocado into strips while the cauliflower rice cools. You assemble the roll by placing the cauliflower rice, fish and avocado onto a sheet of nori and rolling it up. Cut the roll into 6 pieces and you’re done.
You’ve got two killer low carb tuna avocado rolls.
Low Carb Tuna Avocado Roll with Cauliflower Rice
4 oz sushi grade tuna steak, sliced into 1/2 inch wide strips
1/2 ripe avocado, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
2 cups cauliflower, riced
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 tablespoon Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
2 sheets nori seaweed sushi wrapper
1. Add cauliflower florets to a food processor or high powered blender and process until it’s the consistency of rice.
2. Mix together cauliflower rice, sesame oil, rice vinegar and sweetener in a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on High for 5 minutes. Remove from the microwave and remove plastic wrap. Allow it to cool while you prepare the tuna and the avocado.
3. Slice the tuna into long 1/2 wide strips. Remove the seed from 1 avocado and cut half of it into 1/2 inch strips.
4. Assemble the sushi roll. Use a bamboo sushi mat if you have one. Otherwise, just use your hands.
6. Spoon 1/2 of the cauliflower rice into the middle a sheet of nori. Spread it out, leaving 1 inch on each side. Add tuna slices along the one of the short sides. Use 1/2 of the tuna to make a log shape along the edge of the wrapper.
7. Top the tuna with 1/2 of the avocado slices. Moisten the opposite short side.
8. Starting on the side with the ingredients, gently begin rolling the sushi roll over itself. Place your thumbs underneath the bamboo mat and lift the edge that is closest to you up and over the filling.
9. Curve the rest of your fingers over the bamboo mat and gently press along the length of the sushi roll. Pull the edge of the bamboo toward you to fold it underneath your hands, then continue to roll the sushi away from you until you've rolled past the moistened end of the soy wrapper.
10. Press your fingers along the moistened edge to seal it.
11. Use a large, very sharp knife to cut the sushi roll into 6 slices. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
12. Serve with soy sauce.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 6 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 257 Fat 12g Protein 31g Carb 11g Fiber 6g Net Carbs 5g