I love a good flash mob.
My very favorite is one that took place in a London supermarket (video below).
It’s just a normal day in the produce aisle.
Then this construction worker starts singing very loudly to himself. This is not, in itself, very odd. Just some weirdo at the grocery store. But then other shoppers and store workers join in and suddenly, we’re in the middle of this bravura performance of Funiculì, Funiculà. It gives me chills every time. I love it.
I was thinking about the flash mob in the produce aisle this morning, as I shopped for today’s recipe: CLASSIC VEGETABLE SOUP.
I stuck with only low carb veggies: swiss chard, onion, yellow squash, red pepper, mushrooms and butternut squash.
To make vegetable soup, start by sauteing onions for 1 minute.
Add red bell peppers and saute for 1 minute more. Add mushrooms and saute for 8 minutes. Add in broth, tomato paste, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add in yellow squash, butternut squash and swiss chard and boil for 10 minutes. Top with some snipped parsley before serving.
You don’t absolutely have to listen to opera while you make this, but it certainly makes it more enjoyable.
Low Carb Vegetable Soup
This recipe is for a hearty low carb vegetable soup with just 8g net carbs per bowl.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 14 servings
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion
- 2 cups red bell pepper
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 3 cups yellow squash
- 3 cups butternut squash
- 8 cups swiss chard
- 10 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley for garnish
1. Dice all the vegetables.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch Oven or soup pot.
3. Add onions and saute for 1 minute.
4. Add red bell peppers and saute for 1 minute more.
5. Add mushrooms and saute for 8 minutes.
6. Add in broth, tomato paste, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
7. Add in yellow squash, butternut squash and swiss chard and boil for 10 minutes.
8. Remove bay leaves.
9. Top with snipped parsley before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 79
- Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 5
Keywords: Low Carb Vegetable Soup, Keto Vegetable Soup, Paleo Vegetable Soup