Low Carb Keto Whoopie Pie
"The choir sings 'Here comes the bride.' Another victim is by her side.
He's lost his reason, cause it's the season for makin' whoopee."
We're making whoopie pies today so I thought I'd start us off with that old Eddie Cantor song "Makin Whoopee". (above) That guy was the king of the eye roll. He could actually do a full rotation of this eyes. It's truly freaky.
But back to makin whoopie... pies.
Today's recipe is simple to make and delicious to eat. It's based on a great recipe from All Day I Dream About Food. This is the perfect treat for when you feel like making something kind of silly. The chocolate goodness will definitely hit the spot. And at 6g net carb, it fits right into your low carb diet.
But you know what they say:
In any season, who needs a reason, for makin whoopee?
Low Carb Whoopie Pies
2 cups super fine almond flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup unflavored or vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup almond milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, protein powder, cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter and sweetener with an electric hand mixer until well combined.
4. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined and then beat in half of the almond flour mixture.
5. Beat in almond milk and then remaining almond flour mixture until well combined.
6. Use an 1/8 cup measure to measure out enough batter to make 1 inch balls. Use wet hands and keep rewetting them. It will get messy. Place the balls at least 2 inches apart on cookie sheets and press down with the heal of your hand to about 1/3 inch thickness. You should get about 20-25 balls.
7. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until just firm to the touch, rotating baking pans about halfway through.
8. Remove and let cool completely. At least 1 hour.
9. Using an electric hand mixer, cream together the powdered sweetener and cream cheese.
10. Mix in the cream and whip until stiff peaks form. Store in the refrigerator until needed.
11. Once the cakes have cooled, use a spatula to add the filling between 2 cakes. Repeat with all the cakes.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 15 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1 whoopie pie Calories 357 Fat 33g Protein 10g Carbs 11g Fiber 5g Net Carbs 6g