This is the best low carb loaf of bread that you can make. It’s a yeast leavened white bread with only 5g net carbs per slice. Pure sandwich gold.
2 1/4 cups warm (like bath water) water, divided
2 teaspoons sugar*
2 envelopes (4 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
2 cups vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 cups super fine almond flour
1 cup Lupin Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 tablespoon melted butter to brush on top
1. Liberally grease a large bowl and a loaf pan with butter. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in the microwave.
2. Add a 1/2 cup warm water to another large bowl and mix in sugar until dissolved. Mix in yeast and cover the bowl with a towel. After 7-10 minutes the mixture should be frothy with small bubbles. If it is not frothy, then the yeast is dead and you need to start over with fresh yeast.
3. As you are waiting for the yeast to proof, mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Add remaining 1 3/4 cup water and 6 tablespoons melted butter to the frothy yeast mixture and stir to combine.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir with a wooden spoon until fully combined.
6. The dough should be sticky and rather wet. If it is too dry to knead, then add a little bit more water. Knead the dough for 6 minutes.
7. Form the dough into a ball and place in the greased bowl. Preheat the oven for 2-3 minutes until the temperature reaches 100-110 degrees. Cover the bowl with a towel and place in the warm oven to rise for 1 hour.
8. Punch the air out of the dough and knead a few times.
9. Form the dough into a loaf and place in the loaf pan.
10. Allow the dough to rise for 45 minutes more.
11. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and brush the butter over the top of the dough.
12. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 190-200 degrees F. Take the loaf out of the oven halfway through and brush again with butter
13. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then release the bread onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before cutting.
* The sugar is converted to alcohol and carbon dioxide in the fermentation process, so the carbohydrates are cancelled out.
Keywords: Low Carb Sandwich Bread, Keto Sandwich Bread, High Protein Sandwich Bread