This is a low carb dish of scallops with herb butter sauce. It’s a great entree with only 3g net carbs.
1. If the scallops are “dry” and not packed in an STP and salt water solution, then move on to step 2. If they are “wet” scallops, then brine them in a mixture of 1 quart water, 2 tablespoons salt and 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice for 30 minutes.
2. Place scallops on a rimmed baking sheet lined with clean dish towel. Place second clean dish towel on top of scallops and press gently on towel to blot liquid. Let scallops sit on the counter for 10 minutes while towels absorb moisture.
3. Sprinkle scallops on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of scallops in single layer, flat side down, and cook, without moving them, until well browned, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
4. Add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet. Using tongs, flip scallops; continue to cook, using large spoon to baste scallops with melted butter (tilt skillet so butter runs to 1 side) until sides of scallops are firm and centers are opaque and register 115 degrees, 30 to 90 seconds longer (remove smaller scallops as they finish cooking). Transfer scallops to large plate and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Wipe out skillet with paper towels and repeat with remaining scallops, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Keep them tented under tin foil as you make the butter sauce.
5. Use a small egg pan for the browned butter sauce. It’s good to use a light colored pan so you can easily gauge the color of the sauce. Add remaining 1/4 cup butter to the pan and cook over medium heat. Let the butter melt and cook, stirring often, until it’s nutty and browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
6. Pour the browned butter sauce over the scallops and sprinkle fresh parsley and chives on top. Serve with lemon wedges.