Today I’m going to show you how to make low carb and Keto pumpernickel bagels. But first, a sidenote that caught my fancy. Pumpernickel is a German word that is made up of pumpern, which is a synonym for being flatulent, and Nickel, which is a form of the name Nicholas, commonly associated with a goblin or devil. Ipso facto, pumpernickel means “devil’s fart”. So we’ll be making bagels out of demonic flatulence. Yum.
Anyhoo, let’s talk ingredients.
Pumpernickel is typically a heavy, slightly sweet rye bread traditionally made with sourdough starter and coarsely ground rye. But we are doing low carb, so we won’t be using any of that for our bagels. Nope, we’ll be making Fathead dough, which is a mixture of almond flour, eggs, mozzarella and cream cheese. And to that base, we’ll add the pumpernickel flavors of chocolate, coffee, brown sugar and caraway seeds.
Now, I know that it might sound crazy to combine all these ingredients into one recipe, but trust me on this one, it’s just crazy enough to work!
So for this recipe, you’ll need almond flour, caraway seeds, an egg, salt, a brown sugar substitute, cocoa powder, baking powder, cream cheese, espresso grounds and shredded mozzarella cheese.
You start by pre-heating the oven to 325 degrees F and covering a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a blender, grind together 1 cup almond flour, 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon brown sugar substitute, 1/4 teaspoon espresso grounds and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Grind in three 10 second bursts, shaking the ingredients after each burst.
Add 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella and 1 oz cream cheese to a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir again until melted and completely combined.
Use a wooden spoon to mix together cheese, dry ingredients and 1 beaten egg.
Knead the dough with your hands until smooth and completely combined.
Cut the ball of dough into quarters.
Roll the pieces of dough into 7 inch long tubes.
Pinch the ends of dough together to form circular shapes.
Bake for 15-17 minutes until firm and lightly browned.
And there you have it!
You probably know already that normal bagels have around 70g net carbs, so they are way off limits if you are doing low carb or Keto. But these beauties we’re making have only 6g net carbs, so you can have a tasty bagel breakfast guilt free.
All thanks to the awesome power of Satan’s farts.
Pumpernickel Bagel [Low Carb & Keto]
This recipe for low carb pumpernickel bagels uses Fathead dough to mimic the taste and feel of regular high carb bagels. This is an easy Keto and gluten-free recipe with only 6g net carbs per bagel.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 19
- Total Time: 34 minutes
- Yield: 4 bagels 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: German
1 cup super fine almond flour
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon Swerve Brown or equivalent brown sugar substitute
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon espresso grounds
1 1/2 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
1 oz cream cheese
1 egg, beaten
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add all dry ingredients to a blender and grind for 10 seconds. Shake the canister to knock the ingredients out of the corners. Blend for 10 seconds and shake again. Blend for 10 more seconds.
3. Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir again. The mixture should be completely melted and combined. If it isn’t, then microwave for 30 more seconds.
4. Use a wooden spoon to mix together cheese, dry ingredients and beaten egg. Stir rigorously until it forms a marbled ball of dough.
5. Knead the dough with your hands until smooth and completely combined.
6. Cut the ball of dough into quarters.
7. Roll the pieces of dough into 7 inch long tubes.
8. Pinch the ends of dough together to form circular shapes.
9. Bake for 15-17 minutes until firm and lightly browned. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting.
- Serving Size: 1 bagel
- Calories: 331
- Fat: 27
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 20
Keywords: Low Carb Pumpernickel Bagel, Keto Pumpernickel Bagel, Gluten Free Pumpernickel Bagel
If you like this low carb bread recipe then you might like my recipes for Farmer’s Yeast Bread, Rye Bread or Everything Bagels.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.5