This is a recipe for mock multigrain bread that uses Trader Joe’s Whole Grain Crispbreads as it’s base.
1. In a medium sized bowl, mix sugar and warm water. Mix in yeast and cover the bowl with a towel. After 7-10 minutes the yeast mixture should be frothy with small bubbles. If it isn’t frothy, then you’ll need to start over with fresh yeast.
2. Grind 8 Trader Joe’s Whole Grain Crispbread crackers in a blender until they make a course flour.
3. Blend vital wheat gluten and the cracker flour in a medium bowl.
4. Mix 1 1/2 cups of the flour mixture into the yeast mixture.
5. Stir for 1 minute.
6. Let stand for 10 minutes.
7. Mix the baking powder into the flour mixture.
8. Stir the vinegar into the olive oil.
9. Stir the oil mixture into the dough until the liquid is absorbed.
10. Slowly mix in the remaining flour mixture. Towards the end, set aside the spoon and mix in by hand.
11. Cover the dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
12. Sprinkle a work surface with vital wheat gluten. Add the dough to the prepared surface and knead for 10 minutes until elastic and smooth.
13. Grease a large bowl with butter or shortening.
14. Form the dough into a ball and add it to the greased bowl. Flip it so that it is buttered on both sides.
15. Cover with a towel and let rise until it has doubled in size (1-2 hours). You’ll know it’s ready when you touch the dough and the fingerprints remain.
16. Punch down with a balled hand, shape into a loaf and place in a greased loaf pan.
17. Let rise for 40 minutes, until it has almost doubled in bulk again.
18. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
19. Bake for 40 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer stuck in the middle of the loaf registers 190F. When you tap the bottom you should hear a hollow sound.
20. Allow to cool in the pan for 2 minutes.
21. Slide the loaf out onto a wire drying rack and cool completely.
Keywords: Low Carb Multigrain Bread, Low Carb Yeast Bread, Low Carb Wheat Bread