Scallops are such a treat.
I almost never make scallops because my husband is allergic to them and my children refuse to eat anything that swims. It’s such a pity though, because I happen to love them. I’d eat them once a week if I could. So for today’s recipe, I dreamed up a low carb dinner of shirataki fettuccine noodles with seared scallops and brown butter sauce. It’s a total yum.
Let me show you how I did it.
You begin by brining 18 oz of jumbo scallops in a mixture of 1 quart water, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 2 tablespoons salt. Brine for 30 minutes.
Cover a cookie sheet with a clean tea towel and place the scallops on top. Use a second towel to press the liquid out of the scallops. Allow to drain on the towel for 10 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over High heat until just smoking. Add the scallops in single layer, flat side down, and cook, without moving them, until well browned, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
Add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet. Using tongs, flip scallops and continue to cook until the sides of the scallops are firm and centers are opaque, 30 to 90 seconds longer
Remove the scallops to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep them warm.
Wipe out the skillet or use a new one. Add 3 tablespoons butter and 3/4 teaspoons salt and cook over Medium heat, stirring often, until the butter is nutty and browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add shirataki noodles to a colander and rinse with cool water. Blot dry with paper towels.
Mix the shirataki noodles in with the butter sauce and heat over Medium heat until warm, 2 minutes.
Add the scallops to the pan and toss with noodles. Serve with chopped parsley sprinkled on top and lemon wedges on the side.
That wasn’t so hard!
Now, when you eat scallops on a low carb diet, you need to take care. It’s one of the few meats that contain carbohydrate. It’s got about 2.5 g carb for every 4 oz serving. So don’t start popping them like candy, is all I’m saying.
And about those noodles.
I used Miracle Noodle Fettuccine for this recipe, but you can use any kind of shirataki noodle that you like. These noodles are made from the root of the Konjac Yam which is edible but not digestible. So you can eat it, but your body can’t process the carbohydrate or get any energy from it. The fact that you can make this zero net carb zero calorie substance into a passable noodle truly is miraculous.
But enough chitchat, I’m going to have to leave it there for now.
I’ve got a whole pan of scallop fettuccine with my name on it.
Scallop Fettuccine with Brown Butter Sauce [Low Carb & Keto]
This recipe for Low Carb and Keto Scallop Fettuccine with Brown Butter Sauce is an easy weeknight dinner with only 2g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 52 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Sauted
- Cuisine: American
18 oz Jumbo Scallops
1 quart water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons salt for brine
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt for butter sauce
14 oz Miracle Fettuccine Noodles or equivalent shirataki noodles
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Mix together water, 2 tablespoons salt and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl. Brine scallops in the liquid for 30 minutes.
2. Place a clean tea towel on a rimmed cookie sheet. Place the scallops on top. Add another tea towel on top of the scallops and press out the liquid. Allow the liquid to drain on the towels for 10 minutes.
3. Add olive oil to a large skillet and cook on High heat until just smoking. Add the scallops on a single layer, flat side down and cook, without moving them until well browned, 1 1/2 – 2 minutes.
4. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan. Using tongs, flip the scallops. As the butter melts, use a large spoon to baste the scallops with the butter. Cook until the sides are firm and the center is opaque, 30-90 seconds.
5. Remove the scallops to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep the scallops warm.
6. Wipe down the skillet or use a clean one. Add 3 tablespoons butter and 3/4 teaspoon salt to the pan and cook over Medium heat, stirring often, until butter is nutty and browned, 4-6 minutes.
7. Add shirataki noodles to a colander and rinse with cool water for 15 seconds. Blot the liquid with paper towels.
8. Mix the noodles into the butter sauce and heat over Medium heat until warmed, 2 minutes.
9. Add scallops to the pan and toss with the noodles.
10. Serve with fresh chopped parsley sprinkled on top and lemon wedges on the side.
- Calories: 242
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 2
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 19
Keywords: Low Carb Scallop Fettuccine, Keto Scallop Fettuccine, Paleo Scallop Fettuccine
If you liked this shirataki noodle recipe, then you might like my recipes for Beef Noodle Pho, Chicken Ramen Soup or Beef Lo Mein.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.3