Low Carb Keto Caramelized Onion Tart with Cauliflower Crust
When my sister, Julie told me about her recipe for Cauliflower Pizza I was doubtful.
Yes, it is healthier, but... a cauliflower crust? That's just crazy talk. But she came over and showed me how to make it, and honestly, it was PURE SOLID GOLD.
(Oh wow. I really wish I hadn't looked up Solid Gold. Now I've the theme song stuck in my head. Sol-id Gold!)
But ok, time to focus. I've been playing around with this cauliflower crust recipe all week, and I think I came up with something good. It's a Caramelized Onion Tart and it is also... solid gold. So let's celebrate good times, and make this thing!
You'll need a head of cauliflower, onions, mushrooms, ham, shredded cheddar cheese, an egg, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.
Get the onions cooking first, since they'll need some time to caramelize. Heat a skillet on medium high with 2 TB olive oil. Add the onions and cook until they are softened and slightly browned (10 min). Lower the heat and add water as needed, so they don't burn. Cook for another 20 minutes, stirring every couple minutes.
While the onions cook, you can start prepping the cauliflower. It needs to be the consistency of rice, so pulse it in a food processor or professional blender if you have one. I don't, so I just chopped it. And chopped and chopped. So yea, a food processor really is best.
Microwave the cauliflower rice on High for 8 minutes.
Let the cauliflower rice cool until it's safe to work with. Add it to a clean tea towel, and wring out the liquid. You'll need to wring at least one cup of liquid out. It's difficult, but it's the only way this cock-a-mamy scheme will work.
Mix the cauliflower with the cheese, egg, salt, pepper and thyme. Then press the cauliflower mixture onto a lined baking sheet to form a large rectangle, 1/4 thick.
Put the crust in the oven and bake it at 450° for 10-15 minutes until it's golden. Solid golden.
Your onions should be caramelized by now. Top the crust with one cup of cheddar cheese, then the onions, mushrooms and ham. Bake for another 12 minutes and it's done.
Serve it with a nice side salad, and you're golden.
Low Carb Caramelized Onion Tart with Cauliflower Crust
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 450°F and place a rack in the middle. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with oil.
2. Get the onions started immediately. They'll be cooking on the stove, as you make the crust. Heat olive oil in a skillet set at medium. Add onions and cook until they are softened and slightly browned (5-10 min). Reduce heat and cook until they are brown and caramelized (20 min). Stir every couple minutes and add water as needed to keep them from burning.
3. Meanwhile, chop, shred or process the cauliflower into small pieces, the consistency of rice.
4. Microwave the cauliflower rice for 8 minutes on High.
5. Allow the cauliflower rice to cool until you can safely handle it. Wrap 1/2 of the cooked cauliflower rice in a clean tea towel, and wring out the liquid. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower. You need to wring out about 1 cup of liquid. This is the most important step, because the crust won't hold together unless the cauliflower is dry.
6. Mix the dried cauliflower rice with the egg, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, thyme, salt and pepper.
7. Press the cauliflower mixture onto the lined baking sheet and form into a large rectangle, 1/4 thick.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
9. Using the parchment paper, carefully flip the crust. Top with the cheese , caramelized onions and mushrooms.
10. Return the pizza to the oven and bake for an additional 12 minutes.
PREP TIME: 30 MIN COOK TIME: 25 MIN