“Tell me what’s cookin! Everybody’s dancing to the beat. Tell me what’s cookin! When you’re cookin you’re living the dream!” – Evil Purse Toy
My daughter has this singing purse toy that sings the same insipid song over and over. And it’s even got a microphone so she can sing along with it. Which she does. Often. So now the purse song has taken over my brain. Argh.
But I will try and soldier on long enough to share a recipe for low carb stuffed chicken.
Because this is a truly special recipe. It’s one of the first meals that I made when I started out on this low carb diet. It got me over the initial hump of realizing how many foods were suddenly off limits. I figured that if I could eat something as delicious as these stuffed chicken breasts, then I might just make it.
So let me show you how it’s done.
You start by brining 1 1/2 pounds of thinly sliced boneless chicken breasts for 10 minutes.
Gather your filling ingredients: 1 cup chopped spinach, 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 4 oz cream cheese.
Heat the cream cheese in the microwave for 1 minute and mix it with the remaining filling ingredients.
Spoon the filling onto the chicken breasts.
Roll the chicken breasts up and place them on a cookie sheet or plate, seam side down.
Refrigerate the chicken breasts for 15 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Gather your breading ingredients: 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup almond flour and 1 tsp Italian seasoning. Beat the eggs and mix the dry ingredients.
Dip the chicken breasts in the eggs and then coat them with the breading.
Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to a large cast iron skillet and heat at Medium High. Fry the chicken breasts, seam side up and then flip them.
Cover the pan loosely with parchment paper and bake at 375 degrees F for 20-22 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Add a jar of sugar-free marinara sauce to the pan and heat on the stove for several minutes to warm the sauce.
And you’re done!
You’ll have a tasty dinner of low carb spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breasts in marinara sauce with only 3g net carbs per serving. You can serve it with shirataki noodles, zoodles or just about any low carb vegetable. Use any vegetable that gets you excited about cooking on this low carb diet. Because it’s just like the evil purse toy always says,
“When you’re cookin you’re living the dream!”
Stuffed Chicken Breast [Low Carb & Keto]
This recipe for cheesy spinach stuffed chicken breasts is low carb, Keto, Paleo, Whole30, you name it and you can eat it on that diet. And each serving has just 2g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 chicken breasts 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
2 tablespoons salt
1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced boneless chicken breasts
4 oz cream cheese
1 cup chopped spinach
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup super fine almond flour
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 jar Rao’s Marinara Sauce or equivalent sugar-free tomato sauce
or 1 batch of my Quick Spaghetti Sauce
1. Fill a large bowl with water and dissolve salt in it. Submerge chicken breasts fully and brine for 10 minutes. Dry the chicken breasts well.
2. In a medium microwave safe bowl, heat cream cheese for 1 minute until melted. Mix in spinach, mozzarella, and Italian Seasoning.
3. Place chicken cutlets on a plate or a cookie sheet. Drop spoonfuls of spinach filling into the middle of each chicken breast.
4. Tightly roll the chicken breasts over the filling.
5. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
6. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
7. Add beaten egg to a shallow bowl. Mix almond flour, parmesan cheese, Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper in another shallow bowl.
8. Dip the rolled chicken breasts in the eggs and then coat them with the breading.
9. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over Medium High heat. Place the stuffed chicken breast in the skillet, seam side up. Saute until browned, 2 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts, but don’t saute the second side.
10. Just cover skillet loosely with parchment paper and bake for 19-22 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
11. Put the skillet back on the stove and add jar of tomato sauce. (Or mix up a batch of my Quick Spaghetti Sauce before you start making the recipe. It will be finished simmering by the end of the recipe.) Heat on Medium High until sauce is warmed through, 2-3 minutes.
Nutritional Info below these Notes is for just the chicken breasts. The nutritional info for 1/4 cup Rao’s Marinara Sauce is:
Calories: 40 Fat: 4g Carb: 2g Fiber: 1g Protein: 1g
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 407
- Fat: 27
- Carbohydrates: 3
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 41
Keywords: Low Carb Stuffed Chicken, Keto Stuffed Chicken, Paleo Stuffed Chicken
If you liked this low carb chicken recipe, then you might like my recipes for Chicken Fingers, Chicken Puttanesca or Chili Lime Chicken Legs.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.3