Check out this killer sandwich I just made.
Just your classic ham and cheese, no biggie there.
But take a close look at the bread. It looks legit, right? Crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Well. This bread only has 4 grams of carb per slice. True.
I made it using a low carb seed cracker that Trader Joe makes called Whole Grain Crispbread. I ground the crackers into meal and then used it to make a bread dough.
I guess you could call this a Trader Joe Hack, although I have mixed feelings about using the word “hack” to describe something so delicious. But let’s just roll with it for now.
Here’s how to hack yourself some low carb bread.
Low Carb Trader Joe Bread Hack
This recipe for low carb Psyllium Husk Bread uses Trader Joe’s Whole Grain Crispbreads as flour.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup ground Trader Joe Whole Grain Crispbread
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 5 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sweetener (swerve)
- 1 1/2 cup egg whites with 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a loaf pan.
2. Grind 4 Trader Joe’s Whole Grain Crispbreads in a food processor or professional blender to make 3/4 cup. It should be the consistency of flour.
3. In a large bowl, mix the ground crispbread, coconut flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, sweetener and salt.
4. Stir in egg whites, oil and apple cider vinegar with an electric mixer.
5. Slowly pour hot water over the dough, stirring until the dough expands.
6. Add the dough to the loaf pan.
7. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until well browned and quite firm to the touch.
8. Let cool in the pan.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 154
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 7
Keywords: Low Carb Bread, Low Carb Psyllium Bread
You’ll need these specialty items: