Happy Summer everybody.
Here in Pittsburgh, it’s the time of year when your neighbors show up at your door with armfuls of garden vegetables that they don’t know what to do with. So you smile and take the homegrown squash and tomatoes and cucumbers and wonder what the heck you are going to do with them.
If this happens to you, or if, heaven forbid, you are yourself the gardener in this situation, then I may have a solution for you.
Why don’t you make a zucchini and tomato pie? A low carb version, of course. Classic zucchini pie involves that pre-made crescent roll dough that comes in the tubes. So good, but so high in carbs.
To replace the crescent roll dough, I had to break out the big guns.
And when I say big guns, I’m talking about the Carbquik Low Carb Baking Mix. The carb count for this low carb Bisquick is relatively high, but almost all of the carbs come from fiber. And because fiber can’t be digested, you can subtract those carbs and get your net carb amount. In the case of Carbquik, one serving has 16g Carbs and 14g Fiber, so the total net carb amount is just 2g. For reference, almond flour has twice that amount.
But to make this low carb zucchini pie, you’ll need more than just Carbquik. You’ll also need butter, grape tomatoes, zucchini, scallions, parmesan, mozzarella, eggs, cream, oregano, salt and pepper.
You start by pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees F and spraying a pie pan with cooking spray.
In a medium sized bowl, mix together 2 cups Carbquik and 1/2 cup softened butter. A crumbly dough will form.
Press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pie pan.
Bake for 8-10 minutes until just beginning to brown at the edges. After the crust comes out of the oven, increase the temperature to 375 degrees F.
Slice 1 cup grape tomatoes in half and place in a colander to drain. Slice zucchini and scallions thinly. Dry the tomatoes with paper towels.
Use the same medium sized bowl to mix together 3 large eggs, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1/4 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Then layer the zucchini pie. Start with 1/3 of the egg mixture, top with 1/3 of the cheese, and 1/2 of the vegetables. Add 1/3 of the egg mixture and 1/3 of the cheese and the remaining vegetables. Top with remaining egg mixture and then cheese.
Bake in the 375 degrees F oven for 20-25 minutes or until firm on top and a toothpick comes out of the middle clean.
That wasn’t so hard, was it?
In almost no time, you’ll have a summery zucchini and tomato pie that you can actually eat on your low carb diet. And at just 4g net carbs per slice, this recipe should satisfy even the most persnickety of low carb dieters.
So the next time the doorbell rings, and your neighbor passes off some more produce, you’ll know just what to do with it.
Zucchini Pie [Low Carb & Keto]
This flavorful zucchini and tomato pie is the perfect use of summer produce. And it’s only got 4g net carbs, so it’s compliant for low carb and Keto diets.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 9 slices 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
2 cups Carbquik Baking Mix
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup zucchini, sliced lengthwise and then into thin half moons
1/3 cup scallions, sliced
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 large eggs
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a pie pan with cooking spray.
2. Use a fork to combine Carbquik and butter until a crumbly dough forms. The crumbs should stick together if you squeeze them in your hands.
3. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes until just beginning to brown at the edges.
5. While the crust is baking, you can cut your vegetables. Slice tomatoes in half and put them in a colander to drain. Use a mandolin or large knife to slice the zucchini lengthwise and then into thin half moons. Slice the white and light green parts of the scallions. Use paper towels to dry the tomatoes.
6. When the pie crust comes out of the oven, turn the heat up to 375 degrees F.
7. In a medium sized bowl, mix together eggs, cream, salt, pepper and oregano.
8. Pour 1/3 of the egg mixture onto the bottom of the crust. Top with 1/3 of the cheeses and 1/2 of the vegetables. Pour another 1/3 of the egg mixture on top and then 1/3 of the cheeses. Layer the remaining vegetables next, followed by the remaining egg mixture and cheeses.
9. Bake in the 375 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes until firm in the middle and a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 30
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 12
Keywords: Low Carb Zucchini Pie, Keto Zucchini Pie
If you liked this savory low carb egg recipe, then you might like my recipes for Sausage Crust Quiche, Sausage and Vegetable Breakfast Casserole or Quiche Lorraine Egg and Bacon Cups.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.5