A cup of tea and a slice of warm mock apple and ginger galette is the perfect thing for a cold rainy day.
1 cup super fine almond flour
5 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons butter, cold
4 oz cream cheese, cold
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1 egg for egg wash before baking
Mock Apple Filling:
3 tablespoons butter
4 1/2 cups yellow squash, peeled, seeded and sliced like apples
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2. Add butter and cream cheese and pulse again until crumbs form.
3. Add 1 beaten egg and vinegar and pulse until combined.
4. Form dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days.
5. As the crust is chilling, you can make the mock apple filling. Heat butter in a large skillet over Medium High Heat. Add ginger and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add yellow quash to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add sweetener, cinnamon and lemon juice to the pan and cook for 5 minutes more. Set aside to cool.
8. Once crust dough has chilled, roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper until it’s about an 11 inch circle.
9. Cut the edge to make it smoother, if desired. Move the dough, along with the lower piece of parchment paper to a large cookie sheet. Put cookie sheet into the freezer for 15 minutes.
10. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
11. Working quickly, add filling to the middle of the crust and fold over the edges like you see in the picture. If the dough becomes too soft to work with, then put it back in the freezer for 10-15 more minutes. If the crust tears, just press it back together.
12. Once galette edges are folded, place it back in the freezer for 15 more minutes.
13. Beat the remaining egg so that you can use it as an egg wash. Brush the egg wash over the crust.
14. Bake galette for 20-30 minutes, until browned. At minute 15, brush some more egg wash over the crust. Watch closely after minute 15 because the crust will brown quickly.
15. Allow to cool on the pan. Serve warm.
Keywords: low carb galette, keto galette, low carb pastry, keto pastry