These low carb beef tamales use almond flour in place of corn masa harina which lowers the carb count to 4g net carbs.
seasoned ground beef:
2 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1. Add the corn husks to a pot of hot water and use a plate to keep the husks underwater. Cook over medium heat to keep the water hot. Do not boil. When it gets close to simmering, lower the heat. You just want the water to be hot. After 30 minutes, remove the cornhusks and dry them off.
2. Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large skillet. Add ground beef and cook until completely browned.
3. In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin and salt. Add to the ground beef and stir to coat.
4. In a medium sized bowl, microwave water and butter for the masa harina. Mix with almond flour, flax seed meal and salt.
5. Lay out one of the corn husks. Add 1/8 of the masa harina to the corn husk and form into a rectangle along the longest edge.
6. Add 1/8 of the seasoned ground beef in the middle of the rectangle.
7. Sprinkle 1/8 of the shredded cheese on top.
8. Bring the edges of the corn husk together so that the filling folds over on itself. Roll the corn husk around itself. Fold it in the middle, leaving the long end open.
9. Cut one of the cornhusks into thin strips and use one to tie together the tamale.
10. Repeat the process with the remaining 7 corn husks.
11. Add to a steam basket and steam, covered for 1 hour.
12. Allow to cool until cool enough to handle. Unwrap the corn husks and enjoy. It’s best with salsa verde or chili sauce.
Keywords: Low Carb Tamales, Keto Tamales, Paleo Tamales