This recipe for low carb lemon meringue pie is a real treat.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the almond flour and whey protein powder together in a medium sized bowl. Add the egg and melted butter and mix well.
3. Press the dough into the bottom and up the side of a glass or ceramic pie pan. Poke holes in the crust with a fork to let out steam.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Open the oven door to cool the oven down. Set the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
5. Mix the unflavored gelatine together with 2 tablespoons water and set it aside to soften.
6. Combine the remaining 1 cup water, sweetener, lemon zest and salt in a medium sized saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil and the sweetener is fully dissolved.
7. Add the egg yolks to a small bowl and whisk them lightly. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the cooked mixture into the yolk, whisking constantly to temper. Add the egg mixture back into the pan. Cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
8. Stir in lemon juice and butter and mix until smooth. Sprinkle surface with xanthan gum and whisk to combine.
9. Stir the softened gelatine into the filling mixture, whisking until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
10. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until foamy. Slowly add meringue sweetener and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
11. Pour the lemon filling into the pie pan.
12. Carefully dollop the meringue topping on top of the filling. Cover the whole surface, all the way to the edges of the crust. Swirl the meringue topping with the spoon.
13. Bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees F or until meringue topping is golden and just barely firm to the touch. Let pie cool 20 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
*If you take this pie to a party, make sure to clearly mark that it contains nuts. Most people don’t expect a pie to use almond flour, so people with nut allergies might inadvertently eat it.
Keywords: Low Carb Lemon Meringue Pie, Keto Lemon Meringue Pie, Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie