This Keto German Chocolate Cake Cupcake recipe is a quick and easy dessert with only 3g net carbs.
Greetings, low carb friends.
I had the weirdest craving yesterday. I really wanted one of those frozen cakes that Pepperidge Farm makes. My Dad used to buy them when I was a kid, so they have a special place in my heart. Also... they are just super tasty. My favorite was the German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Frosting.
I think you know where I'm going with this.
This craving for chocolate cake with coconut frosting led me to today's recipe for Keto German Chocolate Cake Cupcakes.
"Why not make a 3 layer cake?" you might well ask. Well I'll tell you. Three layer cakes are rather time consuming and a little bit nerve wracking to make. (Will the cake layers come out of the pan cleanly? Who knows!) I wanted to eat chocolate cake with coconut frosting ASAP.
So low carb chocolate cupcakes it was.
And boy howdy did these cupcakes turn out well.
I based the cupcakes on a recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes that I found on I Breath I'm Hungry. Pureed zucchini adds a little extra nutrition and a lot of moisture to the chocolate cupcakes. I topped them with a delicious sugar-free cream cheese frosting and some flaked coconut. So all told, each cupcake clocks in at just 3g net carbs. And I have to say, they completely cured my craving for frozen box cake.
These Keto German Chocolate Cake Cupcakes blew that cake right out of the water.Print
Keto German Chocolate Cake Cupcakes
This recipe for low carb and Keto chocolate cupcakes with coconut frosting is quick and easy dessert with only 3g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 24
- Total Time: 34 minutes
- Yield: 12 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
½ cup coconut oil
6 tablespoons almond milk
6 tablespoons shredded zucchini
3 large eggs
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cup super fine almond flour*
6 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
⅛ teaspoon salt
4 oz cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter, softened
6 tablespoons Confectioner's Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with 12 liners. Put cream cheese and butter on the counter to soften.
2. Add coconut oil, almond milk, zucchini, eggs and vanilla extract to a blender. Blend for 20 seconds until smooth.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well to combine. The batter will be very thick.
5. Use a spoon to drop the batter into the wells of the cupcake pan. Smooth the tops with your fingers.
6. Bake for 22-24 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool in the pan for at least 1 hour before frosting.
8. Cream together cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer in a large bowl. Mix in powdered sweetener and whip until light and fluffy.
9. Spread or pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
10. Sprinkle flaked coconut on top. Alternately, you can put the coconut flakes in a small bowl and dip the frosted cupcakes into the coconut flakes.
*If you take these cupcakes to a party, make sure to clearly mark that they contain nuts. Most people don’t expect cupcakes to use almond flour, so people with nut allergies might inadvertently eat them.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 263
- Fat: 26
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 6
Keywords: Low Carb Chocolate Cupcakes, Keto Chocolate Cupcakes, Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes