This low carb and Keto recipe uses Fathead dough to keep the carb count down to just 8g net carbs per serving.
You don’t have to be a Pittsburgher to make this recipe, but it certainly helps.
I grew up in Pittsburgh, but I usually keep that fact to myself. I don’t say “yinz” and I’ve never called anybody a “jag off”. I’m not a Steelers fan and I think that french fries on a sandwich are an abomination. But there is one Pittsburgh thing that I can wholeheartedly get behind:
These little dumplings are so good!
They are usually filled with potatoes and cheese, but I’ve seen sauerkraut pierogies, onion pierogies, and even sweet cheese pierogies. They are so popular in Pittsburgh that they have their own section in the supermarket. The pierogie section actually shows up in a Pittsburgh Dad video (below). If you want to know what it’s like to grow up here, just watch a couple episodes of Pittsburgh Dad.
I’ve given up a lot of things on this low carb diet. But today I decided that pierogies were just not going to be one of them. So I cobbled together a recipe with mashed cauliflower in place of potatoes and fat head dough instead of pasta. And it worked. It totally worked!
I am filled with a brand new feeling: Pittsburgh Pride.
Low Carb Keto Pierogies
This recipe uses Fathead dough to keep the carb count down to just 8g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 18 piergies 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Polish
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups super fine almond flour
- 2 cups shredded part – skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
cooked onion topping:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup sliced shallots
1. Place cauliflower, cream and butter in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 6 minutes on High. Stir to make sure that all of the florets are covered in cream and then cook for another 6 minutes.
2. Transfer to a blender or food processor and add in the cheese. Process until the mixture is fully blended and smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. Microwave the butter and mozzarella cheese for the dough on High for 1 minute. Stir and cook for one minute more. Stir well to combine.
4. Allow the cheese to cool for 2 minutes and then mix in the egg and egg yolk. Mix until smooth.
5. Mix in the almond flour to form a soft dough. Knead a few times to make sure that the dough is fully blended.
6. Place the dough between 2 pieces of parchment or wax paper. Roll out the dough until it is quite thin, about 1/8 of an inch. Use a circle cookie cutter or a glass to cut 3 1/2″ circles out of the dough.
7. Drop a tablespoon of filling on each circle of dough. Carefully fold the dough in half and seal the edges by pressing down with your fingers.
8. Melt the remaining 1/2 a stick of butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the shallots for a few minutes until they have softened. Add the pierogies in batches and cook until browned on both sides.
9. Serve the pierogies with onions on top and a side of sour cream.
- Serving Size: 3 pierogies
- Calories: 531
- Fat: 48
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 24
Keywords: Low Carb Pierogies, Keto Pierogies, Paleo Pierogies
If you liked this Fathead dough recipe, then you might like my recipes for Chocolate Babka, Chocolate Rugelach Cookies or Mushroom Crescents.