Low Carb Keto Sesame Chicken
Today's recipe is for Sesame Chicken, so I thought I'd begin with a little Sesame Street.
Now that Sesame Street is on HBO, it's gotten a lot edgier. Case in point: Game of Chairs. (below)
It's this Game of Thrones parody that I just watched.
While it seems wildly inappropriate to make a puppet version of GOT for children... I must admit that it completely cracked me up. You get a little Easter Egg each time a character departs. Robb Stark has a wedding to get to. Ned Stark is advised not to lose his head, etc. I don't see any educational value to it at all, but it is really funny.
But that brings me to the recipe of the day: Sesame Chicken.
This Sesame Chicken recipe is so tasty. It's sauteed chicken with a nice sticky low carb sesame sauce. All you need is a side of cauliflower rice and you've got yourself a low carb dinner fit for the king of Westeros. After all, Winter is coming.
Low Carb Sesame Chicken
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 scallion, sliced
1. Mix together the coconut aminos, sesame oil, sweetener, rice vinegar, molasses, ginger, garlic and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes on Low.
2. Remove from the heat and strain out the garlic and ginger. Return to the pan. Simmer again.
3. Mix together the arrowroot starch and 2 tablespoons water. Mix into the reduced sauce and cook until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. While the sauce is simmering, saute your chicken. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large frying pan over Medium-High heat. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes. Break a piece in half to check doneness.
5. Mix together the sauce and chicken in the frying pan. Reheat the chicken if necessary.
6. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions before serving.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 17 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 187 Fat 9g Protein 22g Carbs 4g Fiber <1g Net Carbs 4g