This is a quick 30 minute recipe for, Keto Chicken Fricassee. It's Low Carb, Paleo, Whole30 and THM-S compliant and just an all around tasty.
Today I’m going to share a recipe for Keto Chicken Fricassee, a French dish that sounds much fancier than it is. It’s actually something that you can throw together in 30 minutes.
But first I want to share some equally good news.
Flight of the Conchords has a new HBO special coming out. Yay! I love these two lovable New Zealanders. They performed one of the songs from the new special on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert this week. (below) The song is a parody of sentimental ballads like “Cats in the Cradle” by Harry Chapin, and “Father and Son” by Cat Stevens. But their version of a father and son ballad… takes a turn.
But let’s talk Keto Chicken Fricassee, shall we?
I based this recipe on a Quick Chicken Fricassee that Cook’s Illustrated makes. All you need to make this low carb dish is chicken, mushrooms, onion, garlic, broth, sour cream, arrowroot powder and an egg. Add a side of cauliflower rice and you’ll have a really good thing going. You’ll have a fancy pants chicken dinner with about 7g net carbs.
Quick Keto Chicken Fricassee
This is a quick 30 minute low carb version of the classic recipe, Chicken Fricassee.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: French
2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs, fat trimmed
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
½ cup red onion, diced
1 ¾ cup chicken broth, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
⅓ cup full fat sour cream
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1. Clean chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Salt and pepper the chicken.
2. In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat butter and olive oil over Medium High heat until frothy. Add chicken and cook until browned on one side, 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and brown the other side, 4 minutes more. 3. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
4. Add ¼ cup broth to the pan along with onions and mushrooms. Cook until liquid has evaporated, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
5. Mix together arrowroot powder and remaining 1 ½ cup broth and stir well to dissolve. Add to the pan and bring to a boil.
6. Add chicken and any released chicken juices back to the pan. Reduce heat and cover the pan. Simmer until chicken reaches 175 degrees F, 5-10 minutes. Remove chicken from the pan and tent with aluminum foil.
7. Whisk together egg yolk and sour cream. Quickly whisk ½ cup pan sauce into sour cream mixture. Return the mixture to the pan and mix well to combine.
8. Stir in thyme and lemon juice and return to simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 50
Keywords: Low Carb Chicken Fricasse, Keto Chicken Fricasse, Low Carb Chicken Dinner