These low carb and Keto biscuits with sausage gravy make for a delicious Southern brunch. And each serving has just 4g net carbs.
Today I’m going to share a low carb and Keto recipe for the classic Southern breakfast of biscuits and sausage gravy. Now I’ll admit, I’m not Southern myself, but I did spend a good deal of my childhood watching the Dukes of Hazzard, so I feel qualified to give biscuits and gravy advice. I’ll channel my inner Daisy Duke and it’ll all be fine.
What are Southern biscuits and sausage gravy?
They are buttermilk biscuits topped with a white cream gravy made with sausage. In the SAD (Standard American Diet) the biscuits are flakey, high carb and admittedly, very delicious. And the sausage cream gravy is made from a mixture of milk, flour and sausage. I'll be honest, it's a tough act to follow.
So how on earth can you make biscuits and sausage gravy low carb and Keto?
It’s doable, I promise! This keto biscuits and gravy recipe uses a mixture of butter, coconut flour, eggs and mozzarella cheese for the low carb biscuits. These simple drop biscuits are made in a muffin pan, so they are actually much easier to make than classic buttermilk biscuits.
And the keto sausage gravy is made from breakfast sausage, butter, heavy whipping cream and a little arrowroot powder to thicken it up. Since this low carb gravy is made from cream, it tastes incredibly decadent. You will not be able to tell the difference between high carb sausage gravy and low carb sausage gravy.
Can you use other kinds of sausage than pork?
Sure, people have been making white cream gravies from all sorts of meat for hundreds of years. Chicken, Turkey, Rabbit, Squirrel. Southern sausage can take many forms. Just make sure it’s ground sausage meat (and not patties) and you’re good.
How long does it take to make keto biscuits and gravy?
It only takes 30 minutes to make this low carb biscuits and sausage gravy recipe. So you can fix up this classic Southern brunch in the time it takes to watch one episode of the Dukes of Hazzard.
Southern Biscuits with Sausage Gravy [Low Carb and Keto]
These low carb and Keto biscuits with sausage gravy makes for a delicious Southern breakfast or brunch. And each serving has just 4g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop and Baked
- Cuisine: Southern
¼ cup butter, melted
⅓ cup coconut flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
4 large eggs
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon butter
½ pound breakfast sausage
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup water, divided
½ tablespoon arrowroot powder
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F and liberally grease 6 wells of a muffin pan.
2. Melt biscuit butter and set aside to cool.
3. Mix coconut flour and baking powder in a medium sized bowl
4. Lightly beat eggs and mix with melted butter in a small bowl. Add the mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Mix in the cheese.
6. Divide the batter into 6 portions and roll them into balls with your hands. Add a ball of biscuit dough to each of the 6 greased wells of the muffin pan.
7. Bake for 14-16 minutes until lightly browned.
8. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then carefully remove from the pan and move to a cooling rack.
9. Add 1 tablespoon butter to a large skillet and melt over Medium High heat.
10. Add sausage and brown, breaking it into bits, 5 minutes.
11. Add heavy whipping cream and ¼ cup water to the pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 8 minutes.
12. Dissolve arrowroot in ¼ cup water. Add arrowroot mixture to the pan and return to a simmer.
13. Simmer until thickened, 1 minute.
14. Cut biscuits in half and pour ⅙th of the low carb sausage gravy on top of each one.
STEP-BY-STEP PHOTOGRAPHS ARE BELOW THE RECIPE
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit and ⅙ of the gravy
- Calories: 393
- Fat: 34
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 20
Keywords: Keto Biscuits and Gravy, Keto Sausage Gravy, Low Carb Biscuits and Gravy, Keto Sausage Gravy