This Keto cheese grits recipe is a low carb take on a classic Southern dish. You can make it in under 10 minutes and each serving has just 217 calories and 3g net carbs.
This morning I made myself some Keto cheese grits and eggs, so obviously I’ve been thinking about the 80’s show Alice.
Remember the sassy waitress named Flo? The one who’s catchphrase was “Kiss my grits!”. She was a hoot.
But low carb Southern cheese grits, let’s talk about it.
I’m not Southern, but I do have a long history of loving cheese grits. I used to eat them in this great brunch place in the West Village called Cowgirl. Add some crisp bacon and a runny egg on top and you were in cowgirl heaven.
But what are the carbs in grits?
Normal grits are made from cornmeal and have an average of 30g net carbs per serving. Not great. They are made from cornmeal, they aren't even a little bit low carb or Keto.
So how are these cheese grits Keto?
We are going to use low carb almond flour in place of cornmeal in this Keto cheese grits recipe, so our version has just 3g net carbs. Muuuuuuch better.
What are the other ingredients in these low carb cheese grits?
This recipe has just three ingredients: almond flour, water and cheese. And maybe salt, depending on how salty you like your grits. So four ingredients, tops.
But these Keto cheese grits can be as dressed up or as dressed down as you like.
Some low carb additions are:
- Proteins: Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Pulled Pork, Cajun Shrimp
- Vegetables: Green Onions, Cherry Tomatoes, Spinach, Pico de Gallo, Avocado, Jalepeno Peppers, Garlic
- Cheeses: Cheddar, Colby, Goat, Manchega, Parmesan
How to make Keto cheese grits in under 10 minutes:
- Add 1 cup almond flour, 1 cup water and ½ teaspoon salt to a sauce pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese and mix to melt and combine.
And that’s all she wrote.
In less and 10 minutes, you’ll have a cheesy, creamy bowl of Keto cheese grits with only 217 calories and 3g net carb. Add a few eggs and you’ve got the perfect low carb breakfast or brunch. Now I know that there are low carb diet naysayers out there.
But for them I have just three words: Kiss. My. Grits.Print
Low Carb Keto Cheese Grits
This is a low carb and Keto take on the classic Southern breakfast: cheese grits. You can make it in under 10 minutes and each serving has just 217 calories and 3g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Southern
1 cup super fine almond flour
1 cup water
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Mix together almond flour, water and salt in a medium size sauce pan.
2. Bring to boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally, 4-5 minutes. Once the mixture is boiling, whisk continuously for 1 to 2 minutes, until it visibly thickens.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Mix until melted and combined.
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 217
- Fat: 19
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 10
Keywords: Keto Cheese Grits, Low Carb Cheese Grits, Paleo Cheese Grits