This Keto Sesame Chicken recipe is a low carb take on a classic Chinese dinner. And each serving has just 185 calories and 2g net carbs.
Hello my Chinese take-out loving friends.
Today I’m going to share a very easy Keto Sesame Chicken recipe with you.
So say "open sesame" three times and let’s begin.
First things first: What is Sesame Chicken?
This Chinese restaurant staple is a chicken dinner that is similar to General Tso’s Chicken, but is sweet rather than spicy. The dish is made up of chicken pieces (usually thigh meat), that are battered and deep fried, then mixed with a viscous sweet sauce of cornstarch, vinegar, chicken broth and sugar. Sesame seeds are sprinkled on top, hence the name Sesame Chicken. Sometimes it includes Chinese vegetables like broccoli, and sometimes not. Either way, this dish is fairly fabulous.
Is Sesame Chicken Keto?
I don’t know where to begin with this one. This Chinese take-out favorite is breaded with a corn starch and flour batter, and sauced with a glaze made of corn starch and sugar. You usually eat it with rice too, so that is a hard no.
Can you make Sesame Chicken Keto?
The good news is that yes, you can make Keto Sesame Chicken for yourself at home. And this low carb version has just 2g net carbs. Pair it with some steamed broccoli and cauliflower rice, and you’ve got no worries.
Is Keto Sesame Chicken low in calories?
Yes. This low carb Chinese Chicken recipe has just 185 calories. Cauliflower rice has 25 calories and steamed broccoli has 32 calories. So the total carb count for the meal is around 245 calories. The Sesame Chicken with Rice that you get at a restaurant has twice that, so this is a great healthy alternative
What is in Keto Sesame Chicken?
To make this low carb Sesame Chicken you’ll need: extra virgin olive oil, diced chicken breasts or thighs, coconut aminos or soy sauce, sesame oil, a brown sugar substitute, unsweetened rice vinegar, fresh ginger, garlic, arrowroot starch, sesame seeds and scallions.
How do you make Low Carb Sesame Chicken?
First you mix up the sauce ingredients and then thicken the liquid with arrowroot starch. Then you saute the chicken pieces and mix them with the sweet sauce. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and you are done.
You’ll have a plate of delicious Keto Sesame Chicken that won’t destroy your low carb diet.
Ok, that’s all for me.
Low Carb Keto Sesame Chicken
This recipe for low carb sesame chicken is a Chinese take-out staple with only 2g net carbs
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 17
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Swerve Brown or equivalent brown sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 scallion, sliced
1. Mix together the coconut aminos, sesame oil, sweetener, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic and ½ cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes on Low.
2. Remove from the heat and strain out the garlic and ginger. Return to the pan. Simmer again.
3. Mix together the arrowroot starch and 2 tablespoons water. Mix into the reduced sauce and cook until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. While the sauce is simmering, saute your chicken. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large frying pan over Medium-High heat. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes. Break a piece in half to check doneness.
5. Mix together the sauce and chicken in the frying pan. Reheat the chicken if necessary.
6. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions before serving.
- Calories: 185
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 3
- Fiber: <1
- Protein: 22
Keywords: Low Carb Sesame Chicken, Keto Sesame Chicken, Low Carb Teriyaki Chicken, Keto Teriyaki Chicken