Low Carb Keto Cold Peanut Noodle Salad with Kelp Noodles
Let me introduce you to my new friend, the kelp noodle.
These simple low carb noodles have just three ingredients: salt, water and kelp.
They've got no discernible taste, but have the consistency and mouthfeel of al dente noodles. Each serving has only 2g net carbs, and 6 calories. Yes. I did just say 6 calories.
Today I used kelp noodles to make an Asian cold peanut noodle salad.
It's got all the ingredients you'd expect from an Asian dish: soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and ginger. I also added in a little sugar free sweetener to balance out the flavors. The result was a very satisfying noodle dish with only 112 calories and 5g net carbs.
Not too shabby, my new friend, not too shabby at all.
Low Carb Cold Peanut Noodle Salad with Kelp Noodles
- 2 tablespoons sugar free creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
1 package (12 oz) kelp noodles, rinsed
1 baby carrot, sliced into very thin strips with a vegetable peeler
1. Mix together all peanut sauce ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes so that the flavors can meld. Store the sauce covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
2. Rinse kelp noodles and then add them to a medium sized bowl. Add enough water to cover them and stir in the juice from 1 lemon. Allow them to soak for 20 minutes. Massage noodles periodically to soften them up. Drain the noodles and dry them very well on a cloth or paper towel. Get as much liquid out as you can, or else the water will thin out the sauce too much. Cut kelp noodles into smaller pieces, if desired.
3. Add peanut sauce to noodles and carrots and mix well with a fork. Use the fork to lift the noodles and coat them well with the sauce.
4. Store in the refrigerator.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN CHILL TIME: 30 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 122 Fat 10g Protein 4g Carb 8g Fiber 3g Net Carbs 5g