This Keto Chocolate Cream Pie recipe has all the chocolaty decadence of the original, but with only 8g net carbs per slice.
I’m here to tell you that I am with you. There is no shame in admitting you have an irresistible urge to eat sugary, creamy, chocolate. But I bear good news! I have a healthy low carb solution to your dilemma that will satisfy your chocolate cravings, and spark a boatload of joy.
What kind of pie is this?
Today I’m going to show you how to make a Chocolate Cream Pie, also known as a French Silk Pie. The origins of this dessert are somewhat murky, although they resemble the French pâtisserie known as the tarte au chocolat.
But cream pies really came into their own in the 1800's in the American Midwest, where there was plenty of dairy and eggs right there for the taking. Farm wives passed cream pie recipes from kitchen to kitchen, until everyone knew about them.
So the cream pie was ubiquitous by the 1930's, the era of the Three Stooges. These guys knew that cream pies were the perfect weapon, whenever you found yourself in a food fight.
As one does.
But chocolate cream pies are not Keto friendly, sorry to say.
No worries though, you won’t have to give up this creamy, chocolaty dessert. Today’s recipe for Keto Chocolate Cream Pie has the same flaky crust, chocolate pudding filling and whipped cream topping as traditional pie, but has about ⅕ of the carbs.
- For the crust, you’ll need: melted butter, almond flour, eggs, sugar-free sweetener, salt, coconut flour and shredded unsweetened coconut. You can skip the coconut if you like, but it does add a nice flavor and texture to the crust.
- For the whipped cream, you just need: heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar-free sweetener.
- And for the chocolate filling, you need: heavy whipping cream, unsweetened cocoa powder, arrowroot powder, salt, sugar-free sweetener, sugar-free chocolate chips, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- I used Lily's dark chocolate chips, but you can experiment with different chocolate chips that they make. You can use milk chocolate, chocolate mint, chocolate salted caramel, or a mysterious flavor they call “Unicorn Swirl”.
- Make the crust by mixing together all of the crust ingredients and pressing them into the bottom and sides of a pie pan. Use a fork to poke holes in the crust for the steam to escape, and then bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Make the chocolate filling in a sauce pan on the stove, then pour it into the crust and bake for 25 minutes. Chill it in the refrigerator for 4 hours until completely cold.
- Whip the cream and sweetener with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Then cover the top of the chilled pie with the whipped cream.
That's all there is to it.
It only takes about an hour to cook this Keto Chocolate Cream Pie, then you just need to sit on your hands and wait for it to chill. But this cream pie is definitely worth the wait. It is a decadent, creamy, chocolatey dessert with only 8g net carbs per slice.
And it's just the thing if someone deserves a cream pie right in the kisser.Print
Keto Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
This Keto Chocolate Cream Pie is a decadent dessert with just 8g net carbs per slice.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: French
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut flour, sifted
- ⅓ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ½ tablespoons arrowroot powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- ½ cup sugar-free chocolate chips (like Lilly's)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in large bowl.
4. Using your fingers, press the dough into the bottom and sides of a pie pan, as you would a crumb crust.
5. Using a fork, poke small holes throughout the crust.
6. Bake crust at 400°F for 10 minutes. Cool on the counter as you make the filling. Filling:
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
8. Whisk the heavy cream and cocoa powder in a sauce pan. Add arrowroot powder, salt and sweetener.
9. Bring it to a boil.
10. Reduce to simmer for 1-2 minutes until it thickens like a pudding.
11. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
12. Add the eggs, egg yolks and vanilla to a large bowl and blend with an electric mixer until smooth..
13. Pour a small amount of the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and blend on low to temper the egg mixture. Add more, bit by bit until all of the pudding mixture is incorporated.
14. Pour into prepared pie shell and cover the crust edges with aluminum foil so they don't burn.
15. Bake for 25 minutes.
16. Cool slightly then refrigerate until completely chilled, 4 hours.
Whipped Cream Topping:
17. Whip the cream and sweetener with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Cover the top of the chilled pie with the whipped cream.
- Calories: 500
- Fat: 50
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 7
Keywords: Low Carb Chocolate Pie, Keto Chocolate Pie, Low Carb French Silk Pie, Keto French Silk Pie