Bagels can be high carb death traps if you aren’t careful. But this recipe for Keto Everything Bagels has just 8g carbs, so it won’t wreck your low carb diet.
Greetings native New Yorkers and New Yorker wannabes.
Boy howdy have I got a recipe to share with you today. It’s a low carb take on a bagel with absolutely everything.
Everything I tell you!
What are everything bagels?
An Everything Bagel is a ring of boiled then baked bread with multiple seasonings. The toppings vary depending on where you buy your bagels, but they typically include poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion flakes, garlic flakes, pepper and pretzel salt.
Where did the idea for the everything bagel come from?
This is a hotly debated topic among bagel aficionados. Bagels themselves were invented in Poland in the 17th Century, but the Everything Bagel only came into existence sometime in the late 1970's or early 1980’s. The most compelling story is that a teenager invented them in a bagel shop in Queens. David Gussin was cleaning an oven and sweeping out the old bagel toppings. He looked at the burnt seeds and spices and thought to himself, “I should eat that on a bagel.”.
And in that moment, in Charlie’s Bagel shop, with that young man, the Everything Bagel was born.
Can you make everything bagels keto?
The Everything Bagels you buy at the store have anywhere from 55-75 grams of carbohydrate, so they are definitely not Keto friendly. But fear not bagel lovers, the Everything Bagel recipe that I am about to share has only 8 grams of net carbs.
That is because we are going to make these bagels with Fathead Dough.
Fathead dough is a mixture of almond flour, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese or butter, eggs and baking powder. It is much easier to make than classic yeast-risen bread dough, but has a similar texture and chew to it.
If you form the dough into rings and top it with Everything Bagel Seasoning, you’ll have a very passible low carb bagel alternative.
What is in Everything Seasoning?
Everything seasoning is a simple mixture of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion flakes, garlic flakes, pepper and salt. You can either make your own Everything Seasoning at home, or buy it in stores like Trader Joe’s.
Keto Everything Bagel Topping Ideas:
You can go with the classic cream cheese and lox or you can expand into other low carb toppings like onions, tomatoes, capers, ham, eggs, cheese and cucumbers. And if you are feeling trendy, you can even top your Keto Everything Bagel with some avocado.
You really can’t go wrong when you are topping a low carb Everything Bagel.
Traditional Everything Bagels used to be the stuff of dreams, but that ends today my friends, that ends now.
Keto Everything Bagel
These low carb Everything bagels use Fathead dough to keep the net carb count down to 8g.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 17
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 6 bagels 1x
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Whisk one of the eggs to use as an egg wash later on.
2. Mix together the almond flour and baking powder in a medium sized bowl. Add in the minced onion and remaining 2 eggs and mix well to combine.
3. Combine the mozzarella and cream cheese together in a large sized bowl. Heat for 1 ½ minutes in the microwave and stir to combine. Heat for another minute and stir again.
4. Mix together the almond flour mixture and the cheese mixture until a dough forms. As soon as it is cool enough to work with, knead the dough with your hands until completely combined. If it is too cool to combine, you can microwave it again for 30 seconds.
5. Divide the dough into 6 balls. Stick your finger through the middle of each ball to make it into a bagel shape. Make a fairly big sized hole, since it will expand as it cooks.
6. Brush the egg wash over the bagels and sprinkle with the Everything Bagel Seasoning. You can make your own seasoning with this recipe from the Food Network.
7. Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. It's best if you eat them while they're hot.
- Serving Size: 1 bagel
- Calories: 454
- Fat: 36
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 27
Keywords: Low Carb Bagel, Keto Bagel, Low Carb Everything Bagel, Keto Everything Bagel