I just heard about the tastiest thing.
My sister has been road tripping out West and she came across an appetizer called a sauerkraut ball. When I heard those two words I was like:
How could I have never heard about sauerkraut balls before?
And how in the world do you make them?
A quick internet search revealed that they are kind of croquette made by frying up a mixture of sauerkraut, sausage and cream cheese that has been dredged in bread crumbs.
So it was no problem making a low carb version of sauerkraut and sausage balls. I just replaced the bread crumbs with a mixture of parmesan cheese, almond flour and nutritional yeast. And instead of frying them, I decided to spray them with cooking spray and bake them up in the oven. Soon I had a tasty low carb snack with only 2g net carbs each.
Low Carb Keto Sauerkraut and Sausage Balls
These low carb sauerkraut and sausage balls make the perfect appetizer or snack.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 20 balls 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
8 oz cream cheese
2 cups sauerkraut, drained
1 pound breakfast sausage
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup super fine almond flour
1. In a large skillet, over medium high heat, cook the sausage until browned and cooked through, 4-5 minutes.
2. Add cream cheese and drained sauerkraut to the pan and mix well to combine.
3. Transfer to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator until firm enough to scoop, 1 hour.
4. Mix together nutritional yeast, parmesan cheese and almond flour in a shallow bowl.
5. Scoop out the filling and form into 1 inch wide balls. Add the balls to 2 parchment covered cookie sheets.
6. Roll the balls in the cheese mixture and then return to the cookie sheets.
7. Chill in the freezer for 2 hours.
8. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray the balls liberally with cooking spray.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Serving Size: 2 balls
- Calories: 177
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 11
Keywords: Low Carb Sauerkraut Balls, Keto Sauerkraut Balls, Low Carb Sauerkraut Croquettes, Keto Sauerkraut Croquettes
If you liked these Sausage Sauerkraut Balls, then you might like my recipes for Sausage and Mushroom Biscuits.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.