I just heard about the tastiest thing.
My sister has been road tripping out West and she came across an appetizer called a sauerkraut ball. When I heard those two words I was like:
How could I have never heard about sauerkraut balls before?
And how in the world do you make them?
A quick internet search revealed that they are kind of croquette made by frying up a mixture of sauerkraut, sausage and cream cheese that has been dredged in bread crumbs.
So it was no problem making a low carb version of sauerkraut and sausage balls. I just replaced the bread crumbs with a mixture of parmesan cheese, almond flour and nutritional yeast. And instead of frying them, I decided to spray them with cooking spray and bake them up in the oven. Soon I had a tasty low carb snack with only 2g net carbs each.
Low Carb Keto Sauerkraut and Sausage Balls
These low carb sauerkraut and sausage balls make the perfect appetizer or snack.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 20 balls 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
8 oz cream cheese
2 cups sauerkraut, drained
1 pound breakfast sausage
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup almond flour
1. In a large skillet, over medium high heat, cook the sausage until browned and cooked through, 4-5 minutes.
2. Add cream cheese and drained sauerkraut to the pan and mix well to combine.
3. Transfer to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator until firm enough to scoop, 1 hour.
4. Mix together nutritional yeast, parmesan cheese and almond flour in a shallow bowl.
5. Scoop out the filling and form into 1 inch wide balls. Add the balls to 2 parchment covered cookie sheets.
6. Roll the balls in the cheese mixture and then return to the cookie sheets.
7. Chill in the freezer for 2 hours.
8. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray the balls liberally with cooking spray.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Serving Size: 2 balls
- Calories: 177
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 11
Keywords: Low Carb Sauerkraut Balls, Keto Sauerkraut Balls, Low Carb Sauerkraut Croquettes, Keto Sauerkraut Croquettes
You’ll need these specialty ingredients:
If you liked these Sausage Sauerkraut Balls, then you might like my recipes for Sausage and Mushroom Biscuits.