Well, we’ve made it to November.
Time to start stressing about Thanksgiving. I’ve actually had today’s recipe in my calendar for awhile now. I was going to make a low carb cauliflower stuffing. But today I looked over my recipe and just said, “No.”. Cauliflower can stand in for many things, but not for bread. Not on my watch.
It’s like that old Meat Loaf song.
“I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)”. (video above) Substitute love for low carb and that’s me. I would do anything for low carb, but I won’t do that. No, I won’t do that. (That song never made a lick of sense to me. If you won’t do that, whatever that is, then you wouldn’t really do anything for love, now would you?)
But I digress.
This morning, I decided to go all in and make a yeast bread from scratch to use for the stuffing. Now this isn’t quick. This step will add about 2 hours of prep and cook time to the stuffing. You’ve got to wait for the yeast bread to rise and all that. But the end result is definitely worth it. It’s a real yeast bread stuffing with only 5g net carbs per serving. And you know what it would go great with?
Real Low Carb Keto Yeast Bread Stuffing
This recipe is for low carb stuffing made from real yeast bread. It’s a great side dish with just 5g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 1:20
- Cook Time: 1:50
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
1 cup and 2 tablespoons warm water, divided
1 teaspoon sugar*
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup super fine almond flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, diced small
1 carrot, diced small
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons dried sage
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 eggs, beaten lightly
- Add 1/2 cup warm (like bath water) water, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 envelope yeast to a small bowl. Mix and then cover the bowl and allow to rest for 10 minutes until frothy.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients for the bread in a large bowl. Add remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water to the bowl and mix well. Add olive oil and mix again.
- Knead the dough for 3 minutes. It will be a wet dough.
- Butter the sides of a loaf pan. Shape the dough into an oval and place inside the loaf pan. Allow to rise for 1 hour in a warm dry place.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush the top of the bread with melted butter.
- Bake the bread for 35-45 minutes until nicely browned. The bread should make a hollow sound when you knock on the bottom. Lower the heat to 300 degrees F.
- Release the bread from the pan and place on a cutting board. Using an oven mitt on one hand, cut the loaf of bread into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Arrange the cubes of bread on a large cookie sheet. Bake in the 300 degree F oven for 30 minutes until dried out. Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and butter an 8 x 8 inch baking pan
- Heat 6 tablespoons butter over Medium High heat in a large skillet. Add onions and carrots and saute until softened, 8 minutes.
- Add in parsley and dried spices and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add vegetables to the bowl with the bread cubes. Mix in eggs and chicken broth.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish and cover tightly with tin foil. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake until browned, 30 minutes more.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
*The sugar will be converted to alcohol and carbon dioxide in the fermentation process so the carbohydrates are cancelled out. The sugar has been left out of the nutritional info.
- Calories: 291
- Fat: 22
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 17
Keywords: Low Carb Stuffing, Keto Stuffing, Paleo Stuffing
If you liked this low carb yeast bread recipe, then you might like my recipes for Rye Yeast Bread, Monkey Bread or Tomato Herb Focaccia.
You’ll need these specialty ingredients: