This recipe for real low carb and Keto mac and cheese uses ThinSlim ImPASTAble penne pasta in a tasty four cheese sauce. It's just like normal macaroni and cheese, except this version has just 10g net carbs per serving.
Today we're going to make the impossible possible. Or should I say, the imPASTAble possible? It's completely PASTAble to make real low carb mac and cheese, is what I'm trying to say.
The reason I called this recipe "Real Low Carb Mac and Cheese", is because it really is honest to goodness macaroni and cheese.
I'm not trying to pull the wool over your eyes and use cauliflower instead of noodles. Nope, I would never do that to you. I actually used ThinSlim Food's ImPASTAble Penne as the noodles and topped it with a yummy low carb and Keto four cheese sauce. The noodles have just 8g net carbs per serving, whereas regular penne has 40-50g net carbs.
But how? How? You may say.
It's because the noodles are made primarily of oat fiber and wheat fiber. Now, don't worry too much about the words oats and wheat. Wheat fiber is an isolated dietary fiber made from the wheat plant, that is at least 95% fiber. And oat fiber is between 80-97% fiber. The way we calculate net carbs is to take the total amount of carbohydrate in a food and subtract the indigestible fiber, because our body can't digest it or get any energy from it.
Hence, the idea of low carb mac and cheese is more than just possible, it's a completely pasta... bowl.
(Ok folks, tip your waiters, I'm here all week!)Print
Real Low Carb Mac and Cheese
This recipe for real low carb mac and cheese uses ThinSlim ImPASTAble penne pasta in a tasty four cheese sauce. It's just like normal macaroni and cheese, except this version has just 10g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side DIsh
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: American
1 (8 oz) bag of ImPASTAble Penne Pasta
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
5 oz cream cheese, softened and chopped into cubes
1 ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
1 ¾ cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon ground paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1. Get out an 11 x 8 inch or 9 x 9 inch casserole dish.
2. Boil a large pot of salted water. Add pasta and cook for 10 minutes. Drain. Add pasta to a large bowl.
3. In a medium sized sauce pan, over Medium heat, melt together butter, cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. Stir until completely melted with no clumps of cream cheese left.
4. Stir in 1 ¼ cup cheddar, 1 cup mozzarella and 1 cup parmesan cheese and cook until fully melted and smooth.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in paprika. Taste for salt and add salt and pepper if desired. How much salt you need will depend on how salty the cheese you use is.
6. Pour the cheese sauce into the bowl of pasta and mix to combine. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish.
7. Top with remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese and heat under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted. If you like it browned on top, then you can broil it for 3-4 minutes. Keep a close eye on it though, because it will go from browned to burnt very quickly.
- Serving Size: ⅙
- Calories: 552
- Fat: 48
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Fiber: 34
- Protein: 24
Keywords: Real Low Carb Mac and Cheese, Real Low Carb Macaroni and Cheese, Real Low Carb Mac-N-Cheese
If you liked this low carb noodle recipe, then you might like my recipes for Chicken Ramen Soup, Cold Peanut Noodle Salad or Lupin Flour Fettuccine.
I'm not affiliated with ThinSlim Foods in any way, I just like this product.