This Tomato Herb Keto Focaccia is the real deal. Herby, yeasty and delicious. And each slice has just 2g net carbs.
There are some days when I can't wait to take pictures of my food so I can stuff it in my mouth.
Today was just such a day. This Tomato Herb Keto Focaccia is a true yeast bread so I've been waiting all morning as it rose, then rose again, then came out of the oven smelling like herbs and fresh homemade bread.
But first things first. What is focaccia?
Focaccia (pronounced foh-kaht-tchah) is a thick Italian flatbread topped with olive oil, fresh herbs and vegetables. Food historians believe that focaccia was born with either the Etruscans of North Central Italy in the days before the Roman Empire, or long before that in Ancient Greece at the beginning of the first millennium.
What can you top focaccia with?
- Bell Peppers
- Rosemary or other dried herbs
- Mortadella and Mozzarella Cheese
- Spreadable Cheese
How do you make Keto focaccia low carb?
The main ingredient in this focaccia recipe is Carbquik which is a low carb flour bake mix that is based on Bisquick. I don't know what kind of voodoo they work to made it low carb, but the net carbs are just 2g per ¼ cup. (Not too shabby compared with almond flour which is 6g per ¼ cup.)
It does take a little doing to make this Tomato and Herb Keto Focaccia, but I am telling you, it's worth the work.
You'll need to knead the bread dough and let it rise a few times, but at the end of the day you'll have a slice of yeasty, herb filled tomato focaccia with only 2g net carbs. And your house will have that dreamy fresh bread smell.
Keto Tomato Herb Focaccia
This recipe for low carb tomato herb focaccia is the real deal. Herby, yeasty and delicious.
- Prep Time: 1:40
- Cook Time: 18
- Total Time: 1 hour 58 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: Italian
1 envelope dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 ¾ to 3 ¼ cups Carbquik Baking Mix
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1. Grease a 10 x 15 inch cookie sheet with sides.
2. Dissolve sugar in 1 cup warm (like bath water) water. Add yeast, cover and allow to ferment until frothy and bubbly.
3. Mix in salt and ¼ cup olive oil.
4. Add in 2 cups Carbquick in ¼ cup increments, stirring until fully combined. Stir in remaining ¾ cup Carbquick . Keep adding more until a kneadable dough forms.
5. Knead dough for 10-15 minutes until elastic and smooth. There will be coconut flake sized chunks of Carbquick in the dough. That’s ok.
6. Put the dough into a large greased bowl and turn over to grease both sides of the dough. Cover bowl with a towel and allow to rise for 1 hour.
7. Punch the dough down and knead it a little bit. Roll the dough out into a 10 x 15 inch rectangle and place on the cookie sheet. The dough should cover the cookie sheet from edge to edge. It will seem thin, but will rise again.
8. Make indentations in the dough with the handle of a wooden spoon in 1 inch intervals.. Brush 2 tablespoons olive oil over the surface of the dough. Allow to rise for 15 more minutes.
9. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
10. In a small bowl, mix together all spices. Sprinkle half of the spices over the dough. Thinly slice tomatoes and arrange on top of dough. Sprinkle remaining spices on top of tomatoes. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over everything.
11. Bake for 15-18 minutes until edges are browned and cheese has melted.
12. Cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes and then remove to a cutting board. Best when warm.
*The sugar will be converted to alcohol and carbon dioxide in the fermentation process so the carbohydrates are cancelled out. The sugar has been left out of the nutritional info.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 127
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 8
- Protein: 5
Keywords: Low Carb Focaccia, Low Carb Herb Focaccia, Low Carb Tomato Focaccia