Low Carb Keto Cheese Grits
This morning I made myself some cheese grits and eggs, so obviously I've been thinking about the 80's show Alice.
Remember the sassy waitress named Flo? The one who's catchphrase was "Kiss my grits!"
A fun fact about Alice: when the writers wrote a joke that they couldn't get out of, they would just give one of the characters a funny costume or a funny hat. It was an 80's sitcom. They could get away with it.
But let's talk grits.
I am a big believer in the power of cheese grits. It's a southern dish that is usually composed of cornmeal, water, milk and cheese. But cornmeal is off limits on a low carb diet, so we're going to use almond meal instead. I was surprised at how similar the texture and taste were. It feels like you are actually eating grits or polenta. Add a few eggs and you've got the perfect low carb breakfast or brunch.
Now I know that there are low carb diet naysayers out there.
For them I have just three words: kiss my grits.
Low Carb Cheese Grits
- 1 cup super fine almond flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Mix together almond flour, water and salt in a medium size sauce pan.
2. Bring to boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Once the mixture is boiling, whisk continuously for 1 to 2 minutes, until it visibly thickens.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Mix until melted and combined.
PREP TIME: 5 MIN COOK TIME: 5 MIN
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Calories: 217 Fat: 19g Protein: 10g Carbs: 6g Fiber 3g Net Carbs 3g